Fowl pox picture

chilman

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Here is a picture of my little rooster and his wattles. Both wattles look like this. So I am confused on wether or not he has fowl pox or if he has favus as some one mentioned in my post from yesterday,

It looks like a mild case of Fowl Pox to me. There is no treatment; the disease should run its course in 3-6 weeks. However, to prevent secondary infection, I would recommend treating with an antibiotic like Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Tetroxy HCA-280, Terramycin, etc.) or Tylan. Other than that, I would just make sure your rooster eats, drinks, and is warm and comfortable.

In the future, you might consider vaccinating your flock for Fowl Pox. Here is a link to a vaccine source: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=566 It should be administered to young birds using the wing web stab method.

It looks like a mild case of Fowl Pox to me. There is no treatment; the disease should run its course in 3-6 weeks. However, to prevent secondary infection, I would recommend treating with an antibiotic like Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Tetroxy HCA-280, Terramycin, etc.) or Tylan. Other than that, I would just make sure your rooster eats, drinks, and is warm and comfortable.

In the future, you might consider vaccinating your flock for Fowl Pox. Here is a link to a vaccine source: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=566 It should be administered to young birds using the wing web stab method.

I agree. It certainly doesn't look too serious yet, if it is Fowl Pox. He'll probably be fine.

Thanks for the info. If all of my chickens are about 1 to 2 years old, are they too old to be vaccinated?

Thanks for the info. If all of my chickens are about 1 to 2 years old, are they too old to be vaccinated?

I'm not sure. I know that the vaccine is usually administered to 12 week old chicks, but don't know whether it can be done to older birds.

Back
Top Bottom