Fox bit chickens leg off

I have amputated a toe of a chicken with good results.

Chickens do not show pain the same as humans do, also, I really do not know what pain is like for chickens, how they feel and how they feel about it. They have different 'wiring' or 'programming' as a prey animal because to show pain is to make your self a target.

I would think that the chicken can survive. I have had some survive very serious injuries which I thought sincerely would kill them. A long 10-15cm slash by a cat healed with the flap of skin hanging off becoming a healthy flap of skin hanging off. They do have strange powers to heal.

I would not under any circumstances use soap or vaseline or any other contaminant to clean the wound, it would prevent the wound from healing and increase the chance of fatality. The exposed cells of the chickens internal organs and structures are not external skin and cannot handle anything other than the cleanest water you can find if the wound was dirty and air, which it will benefit from. Things like iodine will kill cells and prevent the wound sealing itself together. The cells need to be alive to join to each other.

If the wound has blood, and not caked in dirt, consider it to be as clean as it gets. If the bone protrudes, it can be of assistance to remove some of it. I cannot give you an opinion on this as I cannot see how much bone protrudes.

To operate, which you could, you can wrap the chicken in a towel, perhaps it won't struggle too much, but it needs to be bound so it doesn't run off, perhaps two people ?

To operate, use your personal intimate knowledge of chicken anatomy which comes from eating many chickens. Use scissors rather than a knife. Scissors don't require resistance in the opposite direction like a knife, it's easier. clean pliers with alcohol or iodine or similar, pour drinking water over them and cut the bone if required. Leave as much skin and soft tissue intact as you possibly can, leave it alone if you can. You only want to cut the protruding bones. The rest should be left to heal over.

If there is a long piece of bone protruding which can be shortened so the remaining flesh can heal over the end of it thats good, if it is already ending near a joint, perhaps the remaining can pull over the end.

Superglue is helpful to stitch up. There are many ideas for holding the end together, medical tape. Don't wash the wound with soap or vaseline and then seal that all inside, it will prevent healing at cellular level and cause death. Washing with soap is good, but only on external, sealed skin. vaseline is a petrolleum product, it's external or best avoided altogether.

Last edited:
'prognosis' I wonder what that word actually means. I should look it up in the dictionary.

stil, a vet can't say 'financial report' or 'how much you have to pay me to care as much as you'. Fine honest substitutes, but no good for business. It's not about actual costs thats for sure. Anyhow, I know someone who needs medical help and is barred from getting it simply for being disabled. So it could be worse. Life is too hard to understand.

That vet talks sense.

:hugs

I'm calling it. He talks DOLLARS and big ones that rhyme with 'tip off' :cool:

Anyhow, one leg is no big deal if the littlun lives. An internet search first page reveals:

One Legged Chicken Buffalo Sauce - Lane's BBQ
https://lanesbbq.com/products/oneleggedchicken-buffalo-sauce
One-legged Chicken Recipes: Buffalo Chicken Bacon Sandwich - See Recipe Buffalo Meat-lovers Pizza - See Recipe Ingredients: CAYEN. Lane's BBQ "One Legged Chicken" buffalo sauce is an explosion of smokey and spicy flavors perfect for wings and all things chicken. Keep a glass of water handy because you're gonna need it!

Everyone Should Have a One-Legged Chicken - Redeeming the Dirt
https://redeemingthedirt.com/2012/01/19/everyone-should-have-a-one-legged-chicken/
Your story about your one legged chicken gave me hope so am nursing her along. Thanks! Reply. Charley says: August 16, 2012 at 6:00 pm We have a one-legged chicken named "Uno" and she has been this way since she was a few weeks old. Her mom & siblings did not make it through an attack. Several peoplel suggested we put her down because she ...
Tom T. Hall - Song Of The One Legged Chicken Lyrics ...
https://www.metrolyrics.com/song-of-the-one-legged-chicken-lyrics-tom-t-hall.html
A song about one legged chicken Who lives in the straw on the floor in my barn I remember the day she was hatched out The vet came to see her and said "She has only one leg, she'll never grow up" He said that chick would be better off dead I said, "No, let's just let her keep growing We'll just wait and see how she gets" Before very long she ...
One Legged Chickens: Survival Rate, Diagnosis, & Treatment ...
https://bestfarmanimals.com/one-legged-chickens-survival-rate-diagnosis-treatment-part-1-of-3/
Can a chicken live with only one leg? Chickens can live with only one leg, but their survival will depend on the age of the chicken, gender, and the flock. Young hens have the best survival. If the leg is diseased, the illness will spread to the chicken and kill it. If the leg is broken above the elbow, then the chicken will often get blood ...
The Song of the One Legged Chicken - YouTube
Song The Song Of The One Legged Chicken; Artist Tom T. Hall; Licensed to YouTube by UMG (on behalf of Island Mercury); Warner Chappell, SOLAR Music Rights Management, CMRRA, Sony ATV Publishing ...
One legged chicken | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to ...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/one-legged-chicken.390069/
Had a predator raid the coop last Fri. night and mangled a 3 month old's leg. Vet amputated the leg Sat. afternoon and the chicken is home recovering nicely. Does anyone have any experience with one legged chickens? The vet says she should have a full recovery and live an almost normal life...
Mark & Mike "The Song Of The One Legged Chicken" - YouTube
Mark & Mike performing "The Song Of The One Legged Chicken" live at Music City Roots on 11.16.2011 Tom T. Hall Night hosted by Eric Brace & Peter Cooper with an all-star band including Duane Eddy ...
Chicken with one leg - Raising Chickens
www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-with-one-leg-.html
My Chicken with one leg. Why? because at 4 months old a cat attacked her. She is now 15 months old and laying eggs, but with one leg the other 12 chickens peck her neck and she hides in a flower pot laying on her side to protect herself from the nasty pecking chickens.
Can Birds Survive With One Leg? Learn How You Can Help!
https://www.thespruce.com/one-legged-birds-386471
A one-legged bird will hop or may bounce on its abdomen. It may have more difficulty landing or perching or may seem to dip or weave as if unbalanced, without putting down that missing leg to correct itself. Right after takeoff, when most birds dangle their legs as they gain altitude, a one-legged bird will, of course, show only one leg. ...

Now I say the world would be a better place with one more one legged chicken, I was going to edit the above first page of search results but I can't see any need. There are plenty of issues but a one legged chicken is something to write songs about it seems, poetry, art, culture, and a wicked BBQ sauce if things don't work out for the best, and then they'll work out for the best. There is no down side to a one legged chicken. I declare it good luck. I hope it lives, we need it to live or the world SUCKS.

It is your choice not the most popular but what you want .. use a hibiclens
or the like of of cleaners they even make it wipes now .. triple anti biotic ointment no pain killer .. Chickens are resilient she can live with one can you?

Back
Top Bottom