Fox habits

Update on the snare trap we set last night. We used a roo in a live closed trap, surrounded by a fence with the snares. We figure too much human scent around the trap. Probably should have left it all day today, but roo needed food and water. Will try until we get him. DS has had success with coyotes with the snares. But we will see. No sign of him today so far. I've been on patrol a couple of times this morn when the dog acted up. We figure it might try again this evening. The times we have seen them in the day are from 8 - 10 am and 4 - 6pm.

I thought you tried to shoot him?

I didn't. DH did. He was showing me about the safety latch when it ran up out of the field. He ran to the fence it went thru, into the neighbors pasture field. That's when he took a shot, but missed. That is the only shot we have had. They are very quick!

Thought I would post a pic of the culprit, or at least one of them. DS used snare traps and this is what was in one of them this evening. It was caught by its foot. DH had to shoot it. It had the 1 hen that escaped the coop this morning. We have been keeping them in during the time we are not at home, and letting them out in the evening. I didn't see the hen when I got home from work, so I figured the fox got it's meal for a couple of days. Will keep you informed if we catch any more.

Thought I would post a pic of the culprit, or at least one of them. DS used snare traps and this is what was in one of them this evening. It was caught by its foot. DH had to shoot it. It had the 1 hen that escaped the coop this morning. We have been keeping them in during the time we are not at home, and letting them out in the evening. I didn't see the hen when I got home from work, so I figured the fox got it's meal for a couple of days. Will keep you informed if we catch any more.

this time of the year there are normally 2 a male and a vixen the pups have just dropped here a few fox being killed now are still preggos

this time of the year there are normally 2 a male and a vixen the pups have just dropped here a few fox being killed now are still preggos

yes, we have seen her, but not for a while. I patrolled the field and the traps today, but didn't see anything of her. I didn't loose any this week, but we had to keep them in the coops when we were at work. Let them out when we got home in the evening. Will keep patrolling tomorrow.

yes, we have seen her, but not for a while. I patrolled the field and the traps today, but didn't see anything of her. I didn't loose any this week, but we had to keep them in the coops when we were at work. Let them out when we got home in the evening. Will keep patrolling tomorrow.
sometimes harrassing them just a little bit causes the vixen to move the pups

Just to give an update. We haven't lost anymore since we killed the fox, nor have we seen one. DH keeps checking the traps, but nothing. So that is good news!! Possibility the neighbors at the stone quarry next to our property took care of any more. They were on the look out also. So lets hope that was the last we see of a fox!! We are due to get a GP puppy soon.

Back
Top Bottom