Freak accident

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
Just the other day I was outside with the flock enjoying their company, one of my serama hens whos name is/was onyx follows me around when I am out there like a little lost puppy. I fed the birds treats, let a few crawl all over me, some lap snuggles then it was off to get the waterers changed. We have a big picnic table out by the coop, across one of the benches was a large board 12 ft long, 4 inches wide and about an inch thick teetering right on the edge. My ex had been out there a few days before trying to clean up the wood pile and must have set it there. I start dumping and filling waterers not paying any mind to the birds or what is around me. I loose my balance due to a broken foot from a drill press accident and grab for the bench (with the teetering board on it) I knock the board off the bench and try to catch it before.... It fell on her head
hit.gif
I immediately freeze up in a state of shock on what had just happened, she took off running. She made it about 2 ft and collapsed. I grabbed her, put her in my lap and sobbed as she took her last breath. I feel absolutely horrible about the whole thing and blame my being clumbsy and off balance for her death
hit.gif
Word to the wise make sure there is NOTHING around the coop/run that could potentially fall down and harm your birds. I am just beside myself with guilt right now. I am so sorry onyx
hit.gif

OH BOY....Sooo sorry that happened.....Please don't be too hard on yourself, as you know in your heart you meant no harm and it was an accident!
hugs.gif

We've all had accidents, believe me! My accident was, that I dropped two newly hatched Bobwhite quail chicks, and hurt them.....I felt just awful too. But it get's better! It does!

th.gif
that's awful, i'm sorry

i had a large piece of plywood leaning against the inside of the run to make some temporary shade, but i started to get paranoid about it falling over and squashing the pullets so i wired it to the run

sure enough, the wind started blowing a few minutes later

it would have fallen right on top of them

hit.gif
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry... my eyes teared up... accidents happen, we can't control everything - at least she didn't suffer.

I'm so sorry this happened to your little girl.
It's not your fault-it is exactly as the title of your post said, a freak accident. It could have happened to any of us.
hugs.gif

I'm also sorry for your loss. Think fondly of her as you accident-proof that area for the rest of your flock. You can only do that which is humanly possible to prevent a similar situation in the future.

Thank you for sharing your loss and reminding the rest of us to go clean up our own places to prevent our own sad stories.

Back
Top Bottom