Free coop past history of Mareks

Dianestern

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2024
Hi! I was just offered a free coop which I desperately need and it has a history of mareks. 90% if my birds are from hatcheries but I hatched a few myself and are therefore not vaccinated. And I have a broody hen doing her thing now.
The coop has been empty for 8 months and I would of course clean the crap out of it (cleaning instructions welcome).
Do you think it’s too risky to use?
Thank you!

What materials or anything other details about the coop? There could be a big difference between a coop that is very old poop covered wood and metals. Personally I feel like old, broken down, poop covered wood is ready for a fire. Newer, cleanable (with bleach and water then dried,) then painted with Kilz is do-able. And of course even better is if you're talking about metals, like a metal shed type coop. Definitely need more detail about the coop itself.

Here are pics of the coop. It’s newer. Thanks for the posts going to follow the link now!

Attachments

• IMG_9940.jpeg
    IMG_9940.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9941.jpeg
    IMG_9941.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9942.jpeg
    IMG_9942.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 34
What materials or anything other details about the coop? There could be a big difference between a coop that is very old poop covered wood and metals. Personally I feel like old, broken down, poop covered wood is ready for a fire. Newer, cleanable (with bleach and water then dried,) then painted with Kilz is do-able. And of course even better is if you're talking about metals, like a metal shed type coop. Definitely need more detail about the coop itself.
Just posted pics. Thank you!

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Only you can determine your level of risk. For me there are worse things than Marek's to be concerned about.

The following link has many answers to your questions..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Read all of that and it seems like it’s hard to stay away from it. Sheesh. I just posted pics of the coop and would follow with the cleaning products listed in that article. It’s hard to pass up such a nice one!

F10 veterinary Disinfectant. Or similar.

Barbacide is very effective against viruses including herpes family also.

Formalin/formaldehyde (many kennel Disinfectants are formaldehyde based) if you can get it and mix it appropriately.

Formaldehyde is old school nuclear option and my preferred way of making sure. It's stinks though. F10 is a total spectrum Disinfectant to kill viruses like this in a veterinary environment. Has no smell and is quite safe to use.

Mix it in a watering can and drench that sucker. Every nook, cranny and cavity. Drill holes intl any hollows or tubing up and ultra liberally Pump spray them. As it is dander that spreads it, and f10 doesn't smell. I'd do it before you pick it up, and again when you get it home.

Give it a good power wash, a long rest to dry properly, a coat of paint and add only vaccinated ckickens

Back
Top Bottom