"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
There’s nothing wrong with the term *free range* I keep plenty of birds *free range* meaning they are absolutely kept in *natural conditions*. They are out in the snow, rain, wind, hail, sleet etc and they sleep in the trees. I trap the raccoons, foxes, mink, possums etc..to give them a better chance of survival which works quite well.
Just because the term is thrown around and used incorrectly doesn’t mean the people that actually do it can’t continue to use the term.

Some of us have farm dogs that protect our livestock so they can free range safely.
Well this dude is a space cadet, lol and scared of dogs…so when it happened….he just kinda shot 2 warning shots in the air and the dog fled, said it wasn’t the first time he’s been there…now something ripped into his quail cage door….he’s down to 5 quails out of 50

I encourage you to watch super size me 2, its free on Youtube, talks about the factory farming of chickens. Free range doesn't mean what you think it means to the big chicken industry. If you want chickens that actually can get outside and not be stuck in small cages and wander around big fields all day long I suggest you buy eggs from other backyard chicken owners that you know and trust. for a product to be labeled as free range all the people have to do is allow the chicken to step foot outside the building, meaning you can fence off a section that is literally is one foot away from the opening to the building and its considered free range. There is no size requirements for a space to consider the chicken free range.
Free range in the supermarket is a much different context than raising chickens. I always discourage people from buying grocery store eggs because a factory egg is a factory egg no matter what it says on the carton.

Using the term free range when raising chickens communicates that you do not have a defined, protected run. And a 100 sf fenced run vs 10 acres to freely roam (in my case) is a huge difference. And free range often means you don't worry where they roost at night - coop, tree, whatever. So I will continue to use this term when discussing different approaches to raising chickens. And since we don't have a fence on our property, I guess technically they could decide to leave at not come back!

the "free range" term is a Walmart invented marketing ploy. i don't ever use that term.
I also use the term free range when referring to how I raise my kids - I set boundaries but they are free to make decisions and take risks. I provide guidance on the front end (on whatever) and then step in if they need help or venture into something truly dangerous.

Kind of like chickens with no fences!

I also use the term free range when referring to how I raise my kids - I set boundaries but they are free to make decisions and take risks. I provide guidance on the front end (on whatever) and then step in if they need help or venture into something truly dangerous.

Kind of like chickens with no fences!
😂
3B4FBFAE-AB8F-4DF1-8B39-4D315EF3A8C8.jpeg

57CE5671-5C85-4CEE-84D6-EBDB14553A2B.gif

I free range an hour before sunset daily on 1 acre of lawn.
My property has no border fence.
20210327_054304_resized_1.jpg

You can see the street in the background.
My chickens could potentially roam from Connecticut to California.
So when I say I let my chickens free range an hour daily. It's for real.
I've had up to 10 chickens roam 1 hour daily and in my climate they never decimate the vegetation or run out of bugs, worms or slugs during the warmer months.
20201011_174138_resized.jpg
20201010_173557_resized.jpg

Even in winter I let them free range.
20210221_164921_resized.jpg
20210305_171602_resized.jpg

Not much to eat other than dry grass, but they are free ranging.

My mom had on average about 30 chickens and 10 ducks on this acre of lawn free ranging a few hours daily and my dad still had to mow the grass.
He never fertilized the lawn, but he did put down lime a couple of times yearly.
I rarely walked barefoot though the yard as a kid though. GC

Perhaps we're spinning our wheels about the term "free range," for there are multiple definitions and confusion, definitely not just among newcomers to chicken raising. Here's an excellent article covering all the meanings (including USDA misappropriation of the term) we've discussed in use today and in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range
Looks like the presence or absence of fencing does not determine whether animals are truly "free range," though in most people's minds, the size and foliage and sunshine availability of the enclosure would matter.
In our remote rural area, we have actual, legally-defined free-range cattle wandering over the desert. Homeowners must fence the cattle out if they don't want them on their acreage, so the cattle encounter barriers. They also are restricted by cattle guards over roads, fences around the state lease grazing lands on which they forage, and at times, corrals into which they are herded by their owners.
No matter how widely a cow or chicken (or even a coyote) can roam freely, eventually there will be a fence.

Back
Top Bottom