Free Ranging a bit too far

BigRedNZ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hi there, looking for tips and tricks. I've had a nosy around the blogs and so far scaring them back seems to be the only solution when the girls roam too far.

Our 3 birds (one's broody right now) are getting out over the coop (first thing to be remedied) and ranging further than they're welcome.

Young kids crawling into chicken poop on the lawn is a spin off we're not appreciating. And struggling to get a vege garden established.

Now we're into summer I'm using the hose but the poor girls are soaked before they get the message, and then I'll be battling respiratory problems.

Any other tricks to deter the roamers.

Info

3 birds and free ranging in a run 30sq meters with abundance of plants (The Chicken Jungle according to my kids) but a destinct lack of edible greens unless we add them
They tend to roam when we're not home, my kids make sure of that.
I guess they get some mixed messages (warm sunny day with lots of weeds we let them out to go nuts, but then that's more controlled)

Anyway, any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Cheers

Divide your area up into at least three large pens. at least 50X50. (more room more chickens.) this is free range by some. Oh I do inches so what's 30 meters? anyway this is what I run 40 hens on rotate every month. Plant some type of native grass for your area. They eat other weeds but this is better for them. Y will have 2 pens in recovery stage at all times

Fence the garden, especially if it is in the range where you do the suppervised roaming. Infact fencing every where you don't want them is a goo idea. Your fixing the over the top escapes so most of your problems will diminish. Oh and train the kidson your rules of free ranging them.

I purchased inexpensive bird netting and put it up over the top of y run ( 20 xo ft aprox. with a side area as well. I have it fenced about 4.5 ft tall, and then used plastic stripe ties to connect the bird netting to the fencing and side of coop.

Back
Top Bottom