Freedom Rangers

Very interesting. I don't need even 25 meat birds at one time though! To keep track of who eats what per cohort, I pop open a new bag for each generation. Of course though, I don't have that many pens and so at most 4 bags open at a time.

LOL

Does "Chicktastic" mean you couldn't tell much difference between the Rangers and the usual Cornish X? Did they have a stronger chicken flavor to them? (I guess you might get a stronger taste with the Poulet Nu Ranger...)

smile.png

Last edited:
Wow interesting. I spoke with Barbra many times while she was trying to set up in Canada and the laws were just too strict to get her birds shipped to the US, it was easier to be in the US and ship to Canada last I heard so seems that is what she did. Also getting in the breeding stock starters from the UK was better in the US.

I'd love to try her birds, so glad you had good results with them. I'll contact her in the spring and find out when she can start shipping this far.

I just did a batch of cornish cross, ordered 275 and I think they shipped 7 extra, and processed 248 which is my personal worst. Had a layer hen break into the pen the first 3 days in a row, she had been broody weeks before and she killed a bunch, then just the usual flips and such. Lots of leg issues this time too and I'm not sure if I'm blaming genetics or the feed supply. Had to change feeds mid ships.

As for feed yes you just have to always feed from one source to know. I used mini bags this time so less work than knowing how many bags of feed. From that too you could feed many off a mini bag if you take a measured bucket to the pen and mark it down each time. Get a hay scale at a tack store and know what a bucket weighs I guess, then count buckets. Saved a lot of money on getting the feed that way, but you need a tractor to unload the bag from your truck, or an old horse trailer to have the feed in till it's used up. Friend of mine does it that way, has a trailer 'feed room' parked outside the barn, takes her feed room to the feed store as needed!

Barbara is great. She is from Yorkshire, like my delicious wife. The telephone number I called was in Canada, but the chickens had a Wisconnsin post mark on the. So, I'm not sure what was going on exactly, except you're surely right it has something to do with the border.

I would definitely do Freedom Rangers again, if I'm in a position needing to bring in birds. But, that's not really in my long term plans. I did run a fecal on the batch and there was coccidiossis present; at which my vet tried to shove decox down mine (and their throat). I resisted and didn't lose any from it. So I'm sure they're disease resistant.
smile.png

I would like to add to the question,.also great questions Greyfields!!!! I was wondering while reading these posts about the meat quality (taste) that's important I think. I was also wondering if I waited a couple more weeks to slaughter to get more weight on them would that make the meat quality not good like rubber? I wouldn't want to do that if it wouldn't be good meat waiting for weight gain.

Thanks in advance you are all so great with your knowledge
smile.png
Hats off to all of you!!

Ann
Spring 2008 new chicken farmer
smile.png

Quote:

Since March have you eaten any of the ranger chickens? Would you consider them excellent quality meat in taste and size? How late (at the latest) would you wait to have slaughtered for top weight on them?

Thanks so much!
Ann

Quote:

I just did a search for Freedom Ranger Chicken Breeders and came up nill.
Where can you get them? I'm ordering from Meyers which is in Ohio not far from me (which is GREAT)

Do any of you Freedom Ranger owners live in or near Ohio? I wonder if the place that has them would send fertile eggs that way it'd save me a lot in shipping. Cost is a factor I don't want to spend lots of money in shipping of Freedom Ranger chickens when I'm saving lots up to now to start chickens Egg and Meat come spring 2008.
smile.png

Thanks so much!!

Ann

I sent them two e-mails one asking how to contact the people in WI. I'm in Ohio and Canada is much to far. Also I asked them about the shipping charges from WI to OH for chicks or fertile eggs which ever was less expensive.

Do you or anyone raising the Freedom Ranger chickens live closer to OH than WI? If so let me know I'll get them from you instead.
smile.png

Thanks,

Ann

Quote:
How strange! Google always gives me their website as the number one site when I type in "Freedom Rangers."

Here is the Freedom Rangers homepage.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom