Freedom Rangers

Oh, wow! Those look amazing!

I'm guessing there must be some Barred Rock, RIR and White Cornish in them. I imagine they are double crosses of some sort. The only thing I can think of similar are the Golden Marans roosters, which are stunning as well.

Thanks for posting pics,

Greyfields
smile.png
Happy Holidays to you and everyone else here
smile.png
!! Can't wait to get my flock. Looking forward to it in fact I got a book about raising/brooding chicks and my husband will build me a brooder before Feb.
I was wondering what you all think about using a card board box or making one out of 1/4" or 1/2" inch ply wood? What dimensions do you use? The book says 4' X 4' but we will have them in the basement until March / April so I'm thinking more like 4' X 6' or 4' X 8'. What wattage bulbs 125 or 250? I'll be using 2 as they say in case one burns out at you are still safe and Red bulbs or white? Do you keep the white light bulbs light all night? Any adivce is very helpful and thanks in advance.
We will have 25 meat chicks and 30 or so egg layers.
Definately beautiful pics the ones I was going to get to
smile.png
thanks!!

Ann
Ohio new to chickens Spring 2008

You can build a brooder certainly. I use those big 150 gallon water tanks and just put shavings in the bottom (people have them laying around with rotten bottoms, so you can usually find one for free).

4'x4' seems a bit small for 50+ birds. My brooder is about 8' x 3' and I've had up to 70 in there, but I had to get them on grass at about 3 weeks of age because they were outgrowing the housing.

150W bulb will be plenty for indoors. And actually, if your house/basement is heated, you may not even need one after the first week.

I have used both red and white lights. I see no real difference. If you find your hens pecking eachother a bit, then go with the red. But I've never experienced this.

Can the Freedom Ranger be put from a brooder to a growout pin, till ready to process? I have room for 25 chickens in my coop but I want to process about 50 Freedoms for the freezer and have 25 layers for eggs. If not, I guess I have to build another coop. I would like to process about 10 a month but they don't sell Freedoms year around or do they? I'am trying to figure out how to have process and layers at the same time year round. I have room for about 25 to range. What am I missing. Love this board. Thanking in advance

This is a reply I got a couple months ago from Barbara the breeder out of WI.

“We will be hatching the end of March every week.
Please check with our web site for breeds avaialable in 2008. We are upgrading our breeds this next year to better service our
customers with a smaller range of breeds which all finish about the same time.
We have been 2 years with all our breeds and have now found the best sellers and will be having 3 breeds only for 2008 and onwards.
These breeds are Red Ranger Bronze Ranger Golden Ranger (new breed)
Any questions please contact me.”
Barbara [email protected]

If you have any questions e-mail her she will reply back. I sent her many
smile.png

Also from one of the e-mails I got back from her you need to order 100 or more chicks. I think that is just in the early spring you need to order that many due to the chicks freezing in transit. I'm not sure about Summer but I also don't know if she even ships in the summer due to the heat.

Happy Holidays take care and God Bless you now and always,

Ann

when i talked to her, i told her my ship date would be end of march. she said 50 would be fine at that time instead of a 100. and she said you can split the order so i'm getting 25 gold and 25 red.

OH! Those are so pretty!! Ann, do you still have me down for 10? I'll have to send you an email...I have 6 bantams of my own now and daily eggs!!!! They are very yummy.

Yes I most definately have you down for 10 golden Rangers.
smile.png
I'm going to have 25 and greyfields how do you have yours? Tractors, coop, free range? I'm hoping to have them in tractors but because they max at 10 pounds I can't just imagine how much space each would need? I don't think I'd have enough tractor space for all 25.

Any ideas would be appreciated grey.. Thanks in advance.

Ann

Back
Top Bottom