Freeze dried chicken feed???

The vast majority of studies aren't conducted on birds which have had cecectomies performed
"A large portion of the data used to derive the coefficients in Table 9-6 were determined with cecectomized birds; however, data from studies with conventional birds were also included. Cecectomy removes the majority of the hindgut area in poultry and eliminates most of the potentially confounding effects of the hindgut microflora on amino acid excretion. The surgical procedure is simple, and several laboratories are currently using the technique. Digestibility coefficients determined with cecectomized birds are often lower than those determined with conventional birds."
1708595820884.png

1708595944286.png

Hi new here. I have had chickens a little over 3 years now and was looking into ways of storing feed for if supply runs low. I was wondering if anyone has tried freeze drying feed (since it doesn't pull out as much nutrition) then vacuum sealing it into containers? I'm thinking freeze drying might have a similar affect like putting it in the freeze to kill and bacteria and then sealing it without air to make it shelf stable. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I don't really understand why one would want to freeze dry chicken feed. You write "if supplies run low". I take it you mean supplies of commercial feed. If commercial feed becomes difficult to obtain then feed them something else.
How far ahead are you trying to cater for? For ten chickens one might get away with 30 kilos for a month. That's a lot of volume to process and store if say one is expecting a long term feed shortage.
In the event that commercial chicken feed becomes that difficult to obtain then surely a better solution would be to feed the chickens something else other than commercial feed. They're very adaptable due to their omniverous nature when it comes to eating.
Might it not be better to put by bags of mixed wholegrains?
There is this constant problem of taking what the commercial concerns and lab experiments state is the optimal nutrition at a price and that's usually as cheap as possible and what is adequate.
Chickens can and do thrive on all sorts of diets. I don't know what sort of apocalyptic condtions you are thinking about but if you're still eating then there is some kind of food still available for the chickens and if you're not eating, then I expect you'll be eating the chickens so problem solved.

CHICKENS CAN CONTROL HOW MUCH OF SOMETHING THEY WANT TO EAT AND DON'T CARE WHAT WANNABE NUTRIONISTS DECIDE FOR THEM...
My chickens also used to want to eat plastic and twine. Others have had chickens go nuts for Styrofoam or insulation. Just because they want to eat something doesn't mean it's food or even safe for them.

It's just mind numbingly sad. The ignorance.

Pop quiz for the chicken nutritional experts and the google searchers:

5 chickens walk into a restaurant.

They share everything they order evenly on one plate. Other than the one plate of food, they also get grass, weeds, or insects that they encounter.

They order:

1/4 pound 80/20 cooked ground beef (don't strain the fat)
1/4 head of cabbage
5 baby spinach leaves (each chicken gets 1 leaf)
5 1/4 teaspoons minced carrots
1/4 strawberry
1/2 baked sweet potato

Questions:

1. Did one specific chicken prefer more of one menu item than all the other chickens combined?

2. Were there leftovers of any of the menu items on the plate when they left the restuarant?

3. Have all 5 of the chickens' nutritional requirements been met after eating at the restaurant?

Hint: Google doesn't know the answers.
I agree. Its sad to see such celebration of ignorance.

1. Probably not - eating more than all four others combined is a high bar.
2. Very likely Yes
3. Almost certainly No.

My chickens also used to want to eat plastic and twine. Others have had chickens go nuts for Styrofoam or insulation. Just because they want to eat something doesn't mean it's food or even safe for them.
these are all human created pollutants. Many plastics are aromatic and confuse animals who mistake them for food. If we didn't leave our trash all over the place the animals would be fine.

Did they die or become ill?
One just about choked on the string she happened to find. If she'd been able to fit the entire piece in her crop, I'm sure she would have died from choking or starving
these are all human created pollutants. Many plastics are aromatic and confuse animals who mistake them for food. If we didn't leave our trash all over the place the animals would be fine.
My point was that just because they can pick what they want to eat doesn't mean it's the good stuff.

I don't really understand why one would want to freeze dry chicken feed. You write "if supplies run low". I take it you mean supplies of commercial feed. If commercial feed becomes difficult to obtain then feed them something else.
How far ahead are you trying to cater for? For ten chickens one might get away with 30 kilos for a month. That's a lot of volume to process and store if say one is expecting a long term feed shortage.
In the event that commercial chicken feed becomes that difficult to obtain then surely a better solution would be to feed the chickens something else other than commercial feed. They're very adaptable due to their omniverous nature when it comes to eating.
Might it not be better to put by bags of mixed wholegrains?
There is this constant problem of taking what the commercial concerns and lab experiments state is the optimal nutrition at a price and that's usually as cheap as possible and what is adequate.
Chickens can and do thrive on all sorts of diets. I don't know what sort of apocalyptic condtions you are thinking about but if you're still eating then there is some kind of food still available for the chickens and if you're not eating, then I expect you'll be eating the chickens so problem solved.
It's mostly a experiment not for actual use.

Back
Top Bottom