Fresh mallards...funny kid!

1duckychick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
So, my mallard girls have figured out 2 things:

1. they can fly!
2. the other 4 CAN'T! (the others are rouens and runners)

So now these girls have decided that they are the coolest ducks in the crowd and love to show off their special abilities by flying on and off the back deck. At first it seemed they were flying off almost by accident, they seemed baffled by the whole thing. But once they landed they were stranded in the backyard away from the group and they'd all get upset. After a little flight practice time they've mastered flying off and back up again.

Once they got comfortable with this new talent they figured out that it made the others totally jealous! As soon as they realized this drove the others nuts they would fly on and off the deck all day (well, when the other 4 were up there - not as much when the others are in the yard grazing). The other 4 would run all over the deck flapping like mad and quacking, trying like crazy to get off the ground. It was flippin hilarious! The runners can actually get a couple inches off the floor in a hopping kind of pattern - I call it the ducky ballet bounce!

A couple weeks of this and the others just couldn't take it anymore. I was out in the backyard with my daughter and the mallards were doing their "look what I can do" deck to yard to deck tease while my daughter and I watched and got a giggle out of the 4 on the deck when the rouen duck had had enough and jumped off the deck and, flapping like crazy, made a pitiful but successful glide to the ground with the rest following suit 1 by 1. I look over at my daughter (who's 8 BTW) all excited and say "holy crap! did you see that...she flew she flew!" to which my kid responds "pfft...that wasn't flying...that was falling with style"!!

I don't know what was funnier, the crazy duck show or my kids superb use and timing with the Disney Toy Story quote! I really need to keep a video camera charged and near by at all times!

lau.gif
I can't tell which is funnier I would have been laughing so hard at that moment.
gig.gif
The ducks sound so funny you should take at least a little home video so you can watch it down the road. What your daughter said is just cracking me up also bacause it is something that mine would say, even though she is only 4.

Back
Top Bottom