Freshly cleaned coop - this does not makes sense to me....

Here's what we do. First, we use horse bedding pellets on the floor as that cuts down on any wet poop. It dries it out. I put DE along the perches and rails and in nest boxes and floor.
We used to use a dozen different fly products, but the flies from the horse farm come here, and it's horrific here too. Several years ago I asked my sister, who raises turkeys commercially what they use. PT Alpine. Hands down will do the trick. I spray a "dot" on either side of the window where they seem to congregate. I shut the door and come back in a half hour or so and there's not a fly around. It works for a month. It is pricey, but we bought our can 5 years ago and still have half a can. The dead flies are safe for chickens.
The fly spray stuff, is it 100% safe? We have a horrible fly problem here still amd nothing seems to work. We use fly strips but they get full so fast.
I'd be interested in using some in my duck pen and coop. I also read it doesn't attract them well, is that true?
Thanks.

The fly spray stuff, is it 100% safe? We have a horrible fly problem here still amd nothing seems to work. We use fly strips but they get full so fast.
I'd be interested in using some in my duck pen and coop. I also read it doesn't attract them well, is that true?
Thanks.
If you want a fly attractant, then those strips and bags of smelly stuff do the trick. This does not attract them; it kills the ones in the room you've sprayed the "dots" on the wall in.

Yes, it's safe. My silkies love the dead flies.

If you want a fly attractant, then those strips and bags of smelly stuff do the trick. This does not attract them; it kills the ones in the room you've sprayed the "dots" on the wall in.

Yes, it's safe. My silkies love the dead flies.
Do you spray it directly on the wall or on a piece of cardboard?
Do they only die if they land on it and ingest it?

Do you spray it directly on the wall or on a piece of cardboard?
Do they only die if they land on it and ingest it?
I spray it on the wall. A dot on either side of the window where they congregate. Then I leave and come back in less than a half hour, and they're all dead. It does this for a month. I don't think they ingest it, as it's just a spot on the wall. I'm not sure how, but I do know they're all dead.

How fast does it take for the DE to work? I moved the babies to my screened porch inside a small dog crate...no where for them to really move around at all...hoping to put them back out before dark but it's still infested. I sprinkled DE everywhere and put up one fly strip and one fly cup thing with liquid...nothing happening yet....the big girls are still our there. I sprinkled it in their poop board un the coop and all around....they are in the outdoor run, next to the covered run, so that isn't as bad....but they'll have to go in at night

Also, what could of caused this? Is it possible the hemp bedding we just laid? We've been using the same one for a year...its a good brand...and I just purchased 330 more pounds of it :-(

If you had existing flies in the area, those you see now are the next generation of them.

Flies lay there eggs in moist slightly dry surface materials.
We did have flies before but no where near that level...maybe I'm just seeing them more exposed since there is no poop to bury into....

Back
Top Bottom