Frizzle thread

For the most part, if a bird doesn't look frizzled, they aren't. However, there is/has been talk of a modifier gene. Where the chicken will appear to be smooth or mostly smooth and throw frizzle chicks. I think I may be seeing something like that for the first time this year. I've been breeding Sizzles for a while, and one of my last hatches produced something odd. A smooth blue chick with what appears to be one slightly frizzled feather on one of its wings. I've been keeping an eye on that chick, waiting for that feather to right itself and it hasn't. I plan on pairing it up separately with another smooth Sizzle or a Silkie to see if it produces frizzled chicks when its old enough to breed. I took a picture of it when it was about a week old. I'll see if I can find that picture and I'll share it here.

The best way to get chicks from your hen would be to breed her to a smooth roo. You'll get about 50/50 that way, but you'll avoid chicks that have two copies of the frizzle gene (frazzles/curlies).

The hen has been paired with a smooth feathered rooster and every chick has been smooth feathered. My inquiry is the result of seeing pictures of birds with only a few frizzled feathers and reading sites that mention the possibility of smooth feathered chickens producing frizzled chicks. A recessive gene? From what I am reading "frizzle" seems to be a topic not well understood. Thank you for your response. I would be most interested in seeing a picture of your blue chick.

The hen has been paired with a smooth feathered rooster and every chick has been smooth feathered. My inquiry is the result of seeing pictures of birds with only a few frizzled feathers and reading sites that mention the possibility of smooth feathered chickens producing frizzled chicks. A recessive gene? From what I am reading "frizzle" seems to be a topic not well understood. Thank you for your response. I would be most interested in seeing a picture of your blue chick.

That's a bummer, but sometimes that's the way it goes. Last year was like that for me, mostly smooth chicks with a few frizzles here and there (most of which were cockerels). This year has been very much the opposite so far. Mostly frizzles with a few smooths here and there. Probably because I want more smooths
lol.png
Keep her with a smooth roo and just keep hatching, you'll get some frizzles eventually.

And here's the picture of my weird chick:

This was about a week ago, maybe a little more. That feather is still curled, but the other wing and the rest of its feathers are smooth.

That's a bummer, but sometimes that's the way it goes. Last year was like that for me, mostly smooth chicks with a few frizzles here and there (most of which were cockerels). This year has been very much the opposite so far. Mostly frizzles with a few smooths here and there. Probably because I want more smooths :lol: Keep her with a smooth roo and just keep hatching, you'll get some frizzles eventually. And here's the picture of my weird chick: This was about a week ago, maybe a little more. That feather is still curled, but the other wing and the rest of its feathers are smooth.
Last evening when I had the chicks out handling them I caught my wife about to yank out a feather that was sticking out. When we looked closer the feather was sticking out naturally. Just one feather-how weird is that? One of my poorer quality serama hens has gone broody so I gave her what frizzle eggs I had (only four). It's a different rooster this time; we'll see...

This may have been covered in this thread but with satellite internet 98 pages of pictures can be painful.

How early can you tell if a chick is going to be a frizzle? I have barnyard mix eggs I am going to hatch out and out of 65 or so birds there is ONE frizzle rooster. Wondering how soon I'll be able to tell if he gave me any frizzles.

Thanks in Advance!

Howdy AlpineSpringsRanch

I have been able to tell with mine pretty much from when they start feathering.

This little guy is 5 days old and you can already see the curl:

9 days old:

This little girl is 5 days old in this one and again, slight curling:

9 days old:

12 days old:

Thanks! That helps!
Howdy AlpineSpringsRanch I have been able to tell with mine pretty much from when they start feathering. This little guy is 5 days old and you can already see the curl: 9 days old: This little girl is 5 days old in this one and again, slight curling: 9 days old: 12 days old:

Back
Top Bottom