From shipping crate to Pallet Coop (w/ pics)

Amyable

Crowing
14 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Greenleaf, WI
I've finally got my first coop! From a lowly shipping crate...

19857_dsc_0117.jpg

...to bona fide chicken coop.
big_smile.png

19857_may_2010_002.jpg

19857_may_2010_006.jpg

19857_may_2010_007.jpg

In progress.

19857_may_1_2010_125.jpg

Thanks to neighbor Julie for spying said crate and seeing it's possibilities. Thanks to DH and neighbor Curt for hauling it home and putting it in place. Thanks to DH and his stepdad for assembling the roof.

I did this on the cheap; free pallets, salvaged window and door, other materials we had laying around.
We spent: $4 for gravel for base
about $75 for roofing materials
$2 for used window and hinges
$4 for nails and screws

The coop is 10' long, about 6' tall at the interior peak, and not quite 4' wide. I enclosed it with 2 layers of pallet wood, with 1" sheet insulation in between. One of the two windows was free, the other found at ReStore. I built a pop-door from a large, heavy piece of old barn wood; I will rig it up to slide with eye hooks and rope. The human door I put together with an old large window screen and plywood. Gaps in the wood were plugged with caulk and spray foam insulation. I painted the interior white (with leftover paint we had) to brighten it up, and the exterior green ($19/gal, used a giftcard.) I lined the perimeter with stones to keep chicks from going underneath, and used branches from the woods for perches. I still have to construct the run and install nest boxes (going to use deli food buckets fastened to the wall - free from MIL.)

Not my dream coop, but it's a good start! It's a little crooked and cobbled together, but I think it turned out fine. Waiting for Sandhill chicks later this month, we're all excited!

That is certainly a nice, frugal use of that piece.
I'm impressed. For the time and money you'll put into that, I think you will be really happy with it.
It looks like a great setup to boot!

Are the birds going to free range much?

Jx2, yes I plan to free range them a lot. We have a huge yard and I'm a SAHM, so I can keep a close eye on them. The plan is to keep them in the coop/run only at night, bad weather, and when we're out of town. This coop is intended for my starter laying flock; there will be more coops, much to DH's unamusement
roll.png

Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions/observations are welcomed.

That is excellent then. I was thinking to myself that if they free range often your coop is going to be excellent for them.
I think you did a great job and I'm sure it will be great for them.

Toast'n Jelly :

There was a lot of work involved but it turned out perfect.
thumbsup.gif

You're not kidding about the work. I took apart about a dozen pallets -
th.gif
It took about 6 weeks start to finish. Putting the new chicks in there will be icing on the cake
smile.png

What a terrific idea!!!! Someone just told me the other day after I found a big new freezer box to use as a brooder, that boxes are harder and harder to find because the companies are shipping appliances with the foam sheets and metal banding. I was lucky!

Back
Top Bottom