Frozen eggs

BatonRougeChick

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
Denham Springs, LA
My Coop
My Coop
In the winter storm we just had in Louisiana, 2 of my eggs froze yesterday before I got to them. They expanded and cracked, but the membrane appears to still be in tact. Does anyone else ever get frozen eggs, and do you use them?

In the winter storm we just had in Louisiana, 2 of my eggs froze yesterday before I got to them. They expanded and cracked, but the membrane appears to still be in tact. Does anyone else ever get frozen eggs, and do you use them?

I have got a few this winter. I don't feed them to anybody else but I do eat them if the membrane is not broken. It is really strange how after it thaws the shell will go back together and you can hardly tell it was cracked.

I believe there have been a whole lot of eggs frozen this year. lol A couple days ago I had a bird lay after I had gathered eggs so the egg froze over night. When I found it it was a little oozy so I fed it to my dog and he chewed on it like a bone. lol

We've had a streak of really, really cold weather and have had quite a few frozen eggs. I try to get eggs several times a day when it's bad but that is not always possible. I feed a couple to my dog per day, twice when I had a large amount of frozen eggs I scrambled up and fed them back to my hens. I wouldn't eat them, after all they were cracked and sitting in those nesting boxes, and I don't know about yours but mine aren't especially sanitary.
sickbyc.gif

We've had a streak of really, really cold weather and have had quite a few frozen eggs. I try to get eggs several times a day when it's bad but that is not always possible. I feed a couple to my dog per day, twice when I had a large amount of frozen eggs I scrambled up and fed them back to my hens. I wouldn't eat them, after all they were cracked and sitting in those nesting boxes, and I don't know about yours but mine aren't especially sanitary.:sick

As Uncle Si might say- Hey, they came out of a chicken's butt already...? LOL If you were to cook it real good you could eat roadkill. LOL

Lol, true, true...but I don't have to so I don't.
tongue2.gif
We're getting at least 1.5 dozen eggs right now for my family of 4, at that rate the dog can have the cracked ones.

Lol, true, true...but I don't have to so I don't. :plbb  We're getting at least 1.5 dozen eggs right now for my family of 4, at that rate the dog can have the cracked ones. 

I don't have to either, maybe I'm a little too cheap... er' frugal??? LOL

I bring them in and wash them as usual. I keep the frozen ones in a separate bowl in the fridge for a couple of days, then use them for baking, French Toast, or scrambled eggs. It was -22 this morning, I have a couple of chickens that won't lay in a nest for some reason. As a result, they freeze pretty quickly in this weather, they just take a long time to thaw completely. By the way, the temp went up 50 degrees during the day, and it's now +32! If we ever had a temp increase like that during the summer, I'd find roasted chickens instead of eggs!

Back
Top Bottom