fruits and veggies for indian runners

allison94

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2015
we are new to this, have had them less than a week...I'm not sure how often and how much fruits and veggies I should be feeding to them..we have 4 of them...I have been giving them zucchini, watermelon, bananas, grapes, romaine, peaches, and pears. I have cut them into small bites. they didn't care for the grapes. they have stopped eating the fruits and veggies for the most part. and they now have the runs.

How often are you feeding it to them? They should be getting most of their nutrition at this point from their duck pellets. I offered a dish of finely chopped fruits and veggies in water once a day, maybe twice at the most. It was more to introduce them to new things than to provide nourishment.

Last edited:
I personally try to feed my ducks as naturally as I can, so I feed my ducks a variety of veggies as soon as they are able to eat them. I usually start out with just a little at a time, once a day. I don't think there are any rules set in stone as to how much veggies to feed them as long as they act healthy and happy.

we live in the desert and I was putting it on the ground..was told I didn't need the grit because of the gravel already mixed with it..

they were loving them at first...then they started just ignoring them...then I noticed they had the runs...I figure maybe they weren't getting them before and weren't used to them...do they need them for nutritional reasons or it it just a treat for them to have the fruits and veggies?

I always give fruits and veggies in a dish of water. I don't think they would be nearly as interested if it was sprinkled on dirt. I don't think they necessarily have to have fruits and veggies, but I want mine to help with weed control and fallen fruit, so that is why I made sure they started young. Start with shredded cabbage in water, then set out some watermelon. Mine love it still on the rind, and they will work on it all day in the stream.

Grit will help if they have liquidy almost foamy poops.

Any kind of lettuce green gives my girls the runs.

Watermelon can give them the runs too.

I also offered oats in a separate dish for them. It can firm up the really liquidy poops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom