I wanted to get a male and breed my CCL’s, but this snipet has me a bit alarmed. Are the CCL males on the aggressive side as a whole or are they like most all the others and it just depends?

I really don't know as that breed, and it was my first trio set of them. The main reason why I culled him was because they all came from the same pen with only one rooster over the mother's. He was also smaller than I wanted.

The 2 Australorp's were terrorizing the hen's with the mating's, ganging up on the girl's, so they went to freezer camp.

My best rooster's so far have been the Naked Neck's.

No, I didn't. I seemed to sell those a lot, and the one NN/Breese rooster that would have been processed, my neighbor decided that she wanted to save it from that fate. :gig It was the 2 Australorp rooster's and that CCLB rooster that were processed.

Edit: You are in lock-down now, aren't you?

The Bresse has become an interest for meat. Add less feathering from Turkens and that's a dream combination for some.

:barnieThat's so frustrating! I hope you're call down there later is successful. Let us know!
Well it turns out you can tell a person about rarity, but you can force them to know what they are looking at. The Dorking where already sold out yesterday when I called, but there where 3 Cuckoo Marans in their spot. I'm pretty sure the girl I spoke with yesterday was the shops owners daughter. I've met her a couple of times, and don't get the feeling she wants to follow her Ma's footsteps. To busy with her face shoved in a phone.

However the fella I normally deal with was there this morning and said they sold good enough that they ordered more and should be there Thursday. I'm going to try and grab 3-4 more.

They still won't let me just pay for them now though.
"People complain when we have chicks in the brooder, but can't sell them."
Take them the hell out of the brooder! :rant :smack

The one Dorking I bought was just to make some crosses with my Ayam Cemani roo. My ACs are bred towards the Indonesian standard, and thus more like a game fowl than a fluffy black chicken. He would be great for making some interesting fibro crosses, but maybe not that great for making a meaty cross. After reading about the Dorkings here though, I would like to make some more productive crosses... Good reason to find another roo too!

Well it turns out you can tell a person about rarity, but you can force them to know what they are looking at. The Dorking where already sold out yesterday when I called, but there where 3 Cuckoo Marans in their spot. I'm pretty sure the girl I spoke with yesterday was the shops owners daughter. I've met her a couple of times, and don't get the feeling she wants to follow her Ma's footsteps. To busy with her face shoved in a phone.

However the fella I normally deal with was there this morning and said they sold good enough that they ordered more and should be there Thursday. I'm going to try and grab 3-4 more.

They still won't let me just pay for them now though.
"People complain when we have chicks in the brooder, but can't sell them."
Take them the hell out of the brooder! :rant :smack

The one Dorking I bought was just to make some crosses with my Ayam Cemani roo. My ACs are bred towards the Indonesian standard, and thus more like a game fowl than a fluffy black chicken. He would be great for making some interesting fibro crosses, but maybe not that great for making a meaty cross. After reading about the Dorkings here though, I would like to make some more productive crosses... Good reason to find another roo too!

Yea, that's the problem at the feed store over here too...phones in everyone's face when the boss isn't around.

At least you know when you can pick up some more Dorkings. I've read that the black skin may be a sex link trait...breed the AC roo with other breeds and the hens get the black skin, roosters don't. I'd be curious to know if you see the same results. That might be a fun project at some point in the future with NN hens under an AC roo.

20190824_061604.jpg

This little structure has served many purposes in its life. It used to be out in the main yard because our last flock always spent their time there. This flock goes out every morning, but tends ro return to the coop late morning and stay there. I moved this to the side yard where the coops are and they're not in their coop! Even though the tree helps with shade, I don't think they felt safe without something like this to get under and they prefer the smaller yard for whatever reason.

Plans for bushes in the future, but this gives me an alternative to having the mister blowing into the coop.

Yea, that's the problem at the feed store over here too...phones in everyone's face when the boss isn't around.

At least you know when you can pick up some more Dorkings. I've read that the black skin may be a sex link trait...breed the AC roo with other breeds and the hens get the black skin, roosters don't. I'd be curious to know if you see the same results. That might be a fun project at some point in the future with NN hens under an AC roo.

I might be able to try that one if a roo hatches from one of these 2 AC egg's here.

Hey hey hey, I like where you're going with this! :D
I might be able to try that one if a roo hatches from one of these 2 AC egg's here.
I wish we where closer to one another, I'd let you borrow my roo. At first I just wanted to make the crosses for fun. Sitting here daydreaming about a NN fibro sexlink meat bird though. That's got me all to excited. :D

Attachments

• 20190816_172209.jpg
    20190816_172209.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 12
Hey hey hey, I like where you're going with this! :D

I wish we where closer to one another, I'd let you borrow my roo. At first I just wanted to make the crosses for fun. Sitting here daydreaming about a NN fibro sexlink meat bird though. That's got me all to excited. :D

:gig
Have you eaten any of the AC meat? I'm curious about taste. I need to read back through @Compost King thread and see if he commented on it. He's also who mentioned the sex link. I'm interested because I always thought a white NN with black skin would be cool looking. Or barred with black skin :eek:That would be cool.

:gig
Have you eaten any of the AC meat? I'm curious about taste. I need to read back through @Compost King thread and see if he commented on it. He's also who mentioned the sex link. I'm interested because I always thought a white NN with black skin would be cool looking. Or barred with black skin :eek:That would be cool.
No not yet. For now I've only got the 2. These are special to me, so they are safe to live on. Any others afterwards though, well those are just bonuses. ;)

Back
Top Bottom