Pics
My kitchen notes for roasting a yard bird: I've been roasting 1 chicken a week and experimenting with brines.

Basic recipe is 1/3 c + 2T each salt and sugar to 1 gallon of water.

My first attempt I added chopped onion, celery and carrots, then tried a rub recipe I found online for rotisserie chicken. The whole thing was quite moist but it was far too salty.

The second time I used 2 T each less salt and sugar in the brine, no veg only herbs and then a lemon pepper rub. It was less salty and very good, but the breast was less moist. I cooked it a bit longer than I should have so that could have contributed to the dryness, but it was only 5* above what it should have been.

This week is the third try. I used the blender to grind the carrots, celery and onion and used the full amount if salt and sugar. I added 1 T each dill and parsley and 1 t thyme leaves. Will do a lemon dill seasoning for roasting this time.

I prefer using celery or a lemon in the cavity over onion and every carcass was slathered in butter because there isn't much fat. I'm slow roasting skin on at 250* until done, approx 3.5 to 4 hours.

My kitchen notes for roasting a yard bird: I've been roasting 1 chicken a week and experimenting with brines.

Basic recipe is 1/3 c + 2T each salt and sugar to 1 gallon of water.

My first attempt I added chopped onion, celery and carrots, then tried a rub recipe I found online for rotisserie chicken. The whole thing was quite moist but it was far too salty.

The second time I used 2 T each less salt and sugar in the brine, no veg only herbs and then a lemon pepper rub. It was less salty and very good, but the breast was less moist. I cooked it a bit longer than I should have so that could have contributed to the dryness, but it was only 5* above what it should have been.

This week is the third try. I used the blender to grind the carrots, celery and onion and used the full amount if salt and sugar. I added 1 T each dill and parsley and 1 t thyme leaves. Will do a lemon dill seasoning for roasting this time.

I prefer using celery or a lemon in the cavity over onion and every carcass was slathered in butter because there isn't much fat. I'm slow roasting skin on at 250* until done, approx 3.5 to 4 hours.

Looking forward to hearing how this 3rd go around turns out :D

One of the tips in the 2nd brine recipe made sense to me...letting it sit uncovered after to dry out the skin so you get a crispier crust.

Let me know if you give the recipe a try and how you like it!

I saw that and I'm going try it this time. I usually take meat out an hour before cooking to bring it to room temp. Makes it cook a little faster and more evenly.

20191017_083845.jpg

The Dorking mix cockerel. He's growing fast now. His sister is there behind him.

20191017_083854.jpg

Salmon Faverolles cockerel. The cheeks are how i can tell him apart from the Dorking boy right now. The Dorkings are there behind him, pullet on the left.
20191017_083900-1.jpg

The Dorkings again, shows a better pic of what their color is like. PB is the background behind the Bresse mix cockerel. I'm really curious to see chicks from him and the Dorking girl.

20191017_083945.jpg

A few of the big girls. They decided to leave when they realized I was cleaning instead of feeding.

20191017_085137.jpg

Abbazaba and her very lady like sit. I let the pups out in the big yard this morning to play and she's got an owie I need to check. That's going to be fun :rolleyes:

I was in the garden this morning getting some things planted and the big girls were circling and making a bunch of racket because they wanted in. They eventually gave up and went to tear through the compost pile but they were grumpy!

Back
Top Bottom