I’ve decided to add a worm bin to compost our kitchen scraps
When my DS was in 8th grade,, he did a science project. Title;; "WORMS EAT MY GARBAGE" He used Red Worms as his workers.
He aced out in Regional Finals, and took his science project to State Finals in Springfield Illinois.
I don't have any digital photos from there ,(before digital cameras time) but here is a pix from online to give idea how the Science Fair is presented.

1641226753985.png

He got a lot of his information from this book.
1641227106550.png

When my DS was in 8th grade,, he did a science project. Title;; "WORMS EAT MY GARBAGE" He used Red Worms as his workers.
He aced out in Regional Finals, and took his science project to State Finals in Springfield Illinois.
I don't have any digital photos from there ,(before digital cameras time) but here is a pix from online to give idea how the Science Fair is presented.

View attachment 2948836
He got a lot of his information from this book.
View attachment 2948846
That is so cool, thanks for sharing! I was going to ask my grandson if he wanted to do his science project on the worms.

Thanks for the info about Mary Appelhof too. There’s a website about her https://www.wormwoman.com/authors/mary-appelhof/

Is that where your worms came from??
For my sons' project we purchased 3 pounds. Out of curiosity, what is the going price for the worms you purchased?? If you run your worm-beds correctly, the worms will multiply.
I remember we needed to add shredded cardboard to the worm-bed also.

ETA,, went and navigated site,,, and did find price on worms. No Idea how much in weight 500 to 700 worms scale in,,,,, but it must be a good starting point.

Is that where your worms came from??
For my sons' project we purchased 3 pounds. Out of curiosity, what is the going price for the worms you purchased?? If you run your worm-beds correctly, the worms will multiply.
I remember we needed to add shredded cardboard to the worm-bed also.

ETA,, went and navigated site,,, and did find price on worms. No Idea how much in weight 500 to 700 worms scale in,,,,, but it must be a good starting point.
No, I just found that place and it’s amazing! I happened upon it in my searches about vermiculture and I want to go there. 99.9% of the valley here is rather barren. Apartments try grass and a few trees, most homeowners have dirt and weeds or rocks and weeds in their yards. There’s a traditional style farm not too far away, but it’s just a farm. That place I linked to has a good forest right here in the valley and they’ve made it work and it’s beautiful. I want that! Not all food mind you, I work full time and have other interests, but I want my yard to be a pretty, somewhat shaded and productive place for us and our animals.

I purchased a small batch from Uncle Jim’s, only 250 to get started I think. I’ll have to look and let you know. I got them through Amazon cuz it was easy to just add them on to my bin order.

I finally remembered to call and change my apple tree order to a dwarf rather than standard. It’s pretty decent weather outside right now, I was out in pants and a tank top to work on the bunny yard. The pipe is in for their tunnel, all the straw has been moved to one side of the coop and a little shade thing is out of there. I collected the water bowls to be cleaned. I think there’s enough room to put a small pool in the corner of the big house for hay and hopefully that’ll be used since the buns are used to a litter box. I’m going to measure the tube I have for the little plastic huts in the indoor pen. I hope it’s long enough that it’ll stretch behind the little house so there’s a tube in there also, but we’ll see. That area is still going to require pavers to prevent digging so I might just skip the tube and give them a hideout at each end. I have coco coir soaking right now so I can mix some soil for the last chaste tree and transplant that tomorrow. There are a couple of logs to move so I can put those in their spots but I needed to get everything out of the bunny yard so I can move the logs in there. The shade thing will go in the bulk trash in February, but the old gate I used on top will be recycled into something else. Likely a trellis for flowers. I also adjusted my window box thing so it’ll hang on the fence rather than the wall. I’m thinking about trying lettuce in it.

For the bunny vacation home I’m putting the desk in there because that’s where they spend the majority of their time. I also got them a couple of grass huts and if they last the summer we’ll be in good shape. They won’t have a ton of room but I think they’ll appreciate the a/c regardless.
BF6D62DA-12BE-4EAF-8EF6-DC20C9C837F1.jpeg
ADA7E776-FDB9-4367-83C8-45CCE2CB751D.jpeg

I finally remembered to call and change my apple tree order to a dwarf rather than standard. It’s pretty decent weather outside right now, I was out in pants and a tank top to work on the bunny yard. The pipe is in for their tunnel, all the straw has been moved to one side of the coop and a little shade thing is out of there. I collected the water bowls to be cleaned. I think there’s enough room to put a small pool in the corner of the big house for hay and hopefully that’ll be used since the buns are used to a litter box. I’m going to measure the tube I have for the little plastic huts in the indoor pen. I hope it’s long enough that it’ll stretch behind the little house so there’s a tube in there also, but we’ll see. That area is still going to require pavers to prevent digging so I might just skip the tube and give them a hideout at each end. I have coco coir soaking right now so I can mix some soil for the last chaste tree and transplant that tomorrow. There are a couple of logs to move so I can put those in their spots but I needed to get everything out of the bunny yard so I can move the logs in there. The shade thing will go in the bulk trash in February, but the old gate I used on top will be recycled into something else. Likely a trellis for flowers. I also adjusted my window box thing so it’ll hang on the fence rather than the wall. I’m thinking about trying lettuce in it.

For the bunny vacation home I’m putting the desk in there because that’s where they spend the majority of their time. I also got them a couple of grass huts and if they last the summer we’ll be in good shape. They won’t have a ton of room but I think they’ll appreciate the a/c regardless.
View attachment 2950089View attachment 2950090

Sounds like you've been hard at work today IM. Those bunnies are going to be the envy of all the other rabbits by the time you're done.

Sounds like you've been hard at work today IM. Those bunnies are going to be the envy of all the other rabbits by the time you're done.
Maybe I’m wrong, I just can’t stand to see rabbits in those tiny cages. At least they’ll be able to kick up their heels and run and play. If they were meat rabbits it might be a different story, but these are just pets for poop.

Back
Top Bottom