Went to Home Depot this morning. Got some new pickets for a small fence (I salvaged some from my parents house but they’re beyond paintable) and some t posts to hold that up. Also gravel and lava rocks for the dragon fruit planters, some perlite to mix with the soil in the raised beds, and I did NOT buy more plants. Super proud of me :gig

Remarkable restraint IM :thumbsup

The chickens decided to dig up the Arabian lilac, so it’s temporarily fixed for now
IMG_6542.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

This will be my hugel bed. I have plenty of cardboard for the floor, but coming up with enough logs to fill it might be a problem. I can always add dry branches from some shrubs I guess. Another thought is a few bags of wood chunks like hubs gets for the smoker. Hmmm.
IMG_6546.jpeg

The quail came for breakfast with the chickens and hung out in the yard while I worked on the lilac
IMG_6540.jpeg

This is one of the water reservoirs for the garden beds. I’m going to drill a drain hole near the top so it doesn’t flood the bed and see if I like using them. If they’re good I have some ideas to use the rest of them
IMG_6545.jpeg
IMG_6544.jpeg

Last edited:
Does your town have trees that they trim IM? In the past we've gotten large amounts (like truck loads) of chipped branches from the forestry department (that was in FL, don't know if you have something similar).

That quail is so cute, glad to see another picture of him!

Does your town have trees that they trim IM? In the past we've gotten large amounts (like truck loads) of chipped branches from the forestry department (that was in FL, don't know if you have something similar).

That quail is so cute, glad to see another picture of him!
We do have chip drops available, but it’s usually a big load as you mentioned. We can request NOT to get certain types of wood, but here mesquite is very prevalent and I’m loath to use it because it can prevent some things from growing. I have some logs from another type of tree that may work, I will have to ask Igor if he’ll cut them in half with the chainsaw. Which means no more log border along my walkway out there, boo! But this will be a good use for them.

Back
Top Bottom