Fully formed poop with yellow cap

Poultry DVM is a vague website. It is not an official source of facts that something like Merck Veterinary Manual, or a professional veterinary college source. Some of their info is accurate, and maybe helpful, but they have had some inaccurate info on their website over the years. Here is an article to read about blackhead:
https://extension.psu.edu/histomoniasis-blackhead-disease
The vet found flagellates and very high coccidia in Bingo. She said the flagellates were likely blackhead, but not 100%. But the coccidia likely has caused her liver upset and the yellow capped poop.

So she can't prescribe anything for blackhead, fda rules or something. And she's saying 72 hr turn around to get an answer what to prescribe for coccidia. Says corid doesn't kill coccidia and recommends we kill it and keep the run/coop as clean as possible.

I cleaned out all the ground cover in the run, sprayed it with synergize, and once dried added lime. (I sanitized while they roosted the 12 hours, to be sure it dried).

Vet is contacting me as soon as she gets an answer back from FARAD.

Corid is usually the first choice for treatment of coccidiosis. It doesn’t hurt to use that. Some strains of coccidia are resistant, especially the ones that cause bloody poop. Many people are using toltrazuril or in combination with Corid, and sulfa antibiotics have been used for years.

You can sometimes find metronidazole online for fish, and that is what many use to treat Protozoa such as histomoniasis/blackhead. Let me see if you can still get it online. I am also tagging @casportpony in case she has advice about either the metronidazole or the drugs for coccidiosis.

One can get metronidazole here:
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-...ish-problem-solving-general-cure-5112949.html
1711478124422.png

1711478085846.png

I have toltrazural. Will get that started now.

Run is cleaned out, but I just did new bedding in coop a few days ago. Likely need to change again, though I have removed poop in there daily.

I ordered the metronidazole. It can take a few days. I have Tiagard if that kills flagellates?

Back
Top Bottom