Funny feet

NewChickenmama06

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2019
Western Ma
I hatched some birds back in April and all of them have toes that are on the side. They do not seem to be in pain and they are walking and running fine. I just am not sure what it is. I read it could of been something that went wrong during incubation. Anyhoo, I am attaching pictures of some feet and if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated :D

Attachments

• 20200608_110023.jpg
    20200608_110023.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200608_110048.jpg
    20200608_110048.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 2
Causes:
This sometimes is caused by fluctuating temperatures in your incubator. It can also be caused by vitamin deficiencies in the mother hen. Another cause can be not enough genetic diversity in your breeding stock.
Treatments:
Crooked toes can often be remedied by splinting, but only when chicks are very young and the bones are still hardening.
If your birds are walking and scratching and eating fine, I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have one with a couple very crooked toes and she does just fine.

Causes:
This sometimes is caused by fluctuating temperatures in your incubator. It can also be caused by vitamin deficiencies in the mother hen. Another cause can be not enough genetic diversity in your breeding stock.
Treatments:
Crooked toes can often be remedied by splinting, but only when chicks are very young and the bones are still hardening.
If your birds are walking and scratching and eating fine, I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have one with a couple very crooked toes and she does just fine.
Thanks, they are all drinking, eating, running around and roosting just fine. The crooked toes don't seem to be bothering them at all.

Back
Top Bottom