Future Chicken Coop

4CiTyCHicHENs

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
MO
My cousin gave this to us for a chicken coop! he built is as a play house for his daughters who grew out of it.. what colors do you think I should plaint it? I said bright pink, hubby didnt like that too much. its 6x8 any suggestions on how to modify & secure. the door lock is just an eye hook...

47437_chickie_coop.jpg

Wow, that is adorable!!! What a lovely gift. It does not look like it needs much modification. A little ventilation, a chicken door and the usual amenities inside and you should be set! Are you planning on a run area? Not sure on the color choice- do you like the idea of matching it to your house paint? I use a slide bolt on my door. Enjoy your cute coop- post pics when you are done!

Thanks Lesa! my house is tan but about to be sided in a green/gray "sage" color. The hubby says go red or blue, I kindly reminded him its for girls... LOL. DEF a run. which since the coop roof is like that how should I do a run? I was thinking tilted front higher than back but sice the coop roof is pointed it might look funny... just one slide bolt? racoons dont open it?

Cute! I'd coordinate with the house -- at least in a complimentary color, but that's just me...
Paint it a color that makes you happy when you look into your backyard.
Just so you know, raccoons can operate a slide bolt that is unlocked.
My run is angled sideways under the roof eaves. Has worked out well. Water runs off roof, onto run roof and off. Don't know how tall your coop is. Check my page for photos.

There are good examples of paint color on the coop pages. The most popular seems to be red body with white trim, and it does look good. I went with a red, white and blue theme due to my stable (and city) name, but used a blue body color because that is the color I found in the mistake paint at Home Depot. I think a green body color, which is also popular, is real nice too.
I also like some of the brighter, creative color choices I have seen - check out babes-hideout, and a-real-chickenhause.
Alamogirl has a nice small one with pretty yellow and green colors.
If you want a nice classy looking beige, look at Mags2009.

CityChook, Ive seen your page! I love your coop!!good call on tilting that way! mines tall enough to do that! its like 6 foot on the sides... How awesome your mail man came in & let you take his picture! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom