fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
:old The best height, IMHO, for a chicken run covered with bird netting or a roof is about 6 feet high. Which is tall enough, so I don't have to bend over when doing cleaning or maintenance chores in the run. I talked to a lady who had chickens, years ago, and the only thing she hated was working in the chicken run because she used 4-foot-high fencing and had to bend over all the time. Chickens don't need 6-foot-tall fencing, so, it's purely for my comfort. If you don't have the budget to make a 6-foot-tall fence for the run, I suggest you design your run in such a way that you can make it taller later on if/when you get the finances.

I am assuming you are going to put some type of protection on the roof of the chicken run or you would not be spending money on hardware cloth for run fencing.

:old This past year I have started to experience arthritis in my cutting hand. I have one finger that locks up on me and somedays I cannot fully close my fist. I have had to rethink a number of things I used to take for granted. So, I think I can understand your situation.

There are powered snips for cutting metal wire fencing and tin. But they can cost ~$150.00 or more for the one's I am familiar with. They get great reviews for people that need to use the tool everyday. I am assuming that your limited budget (and mine) might appreciate alternatives.

So, might I suggest you consider buying an inexpensive electric 4-1/2 inch grinder like this one at Harbor Freight for $14.99.

WARRIOR

4.3 Amp, 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder with Slide Switch

58089_W3.jpg

Just use a cheap metal cut off wheel on that grinder and you will be cutting through any fencing like a hot knife through butter. Much easier on the arthritic hands!

And, if that was not good enough of a deal, this weekend HF has a 30% off any one item less than $20.00 in the store. I think you could pick up this grinder for less than $10.00 plus tax.

I buy the metal cut off wheels by the 10 pack. Here is what I am thinking about...

BAUER 4-1/2 in. x 1/16 in. x 7/8 in. Type 1/41 Metal Cut-off Wheel, 10 Pack

64024_W3.jpg

They sell for $9.99 for a pack of ten, which would probably last you a lifetime. If you want to save more money, go back to HF another day this weekend and use that 30% off one item and get that 10 pack of cut off wheels for $7.00 plus tax. I cannot remember if they sell the cut off wheels individually. But you would probably only need one. The wheels do wear down over use, but they typically last me a long, long time before they need to be replaced.

I'm not trying to push HF as the only store to buy from, but they just happen to have this stuff for the lowest price in my town. I know Menards and Home Depot sell 4-1/2 inch grinders, too, but I don't know if they have inexpensive options. You can easily spend over $100 on a 4-1/2 inch grinder, but I'm telling you that you don't need to buy one of those. Even an inexpensive $15.00 grinder will cut through wire fencing like nothing.

I have 3 different 4-1/2 grinders in my garage. I use them for lots of different jobs. If you are not familiar with grinders, here is a nice YouTube basics video on the use of a grinder so you can decide if it's a tool that would work for you.

Anyways, I am not into hurting my old hands any more than I have too. So, I use my grinders more these days as compared to when I was younger and might just have used a tin snips. I need to protect my hands so I can get more things done. Hope some of these suggestions might help you as well.
I like these ideas! Plus, we DO have a Harbor Freight just a few miles away.

I also like the idea of something inexpensive to use to cut wire/fence/HWC. We do have a circular saw, and a drill (mine mine mine! 🥰 ) plus a couple wood saws.

I definitely do want a roof of sorts, and was considering fence/HWC to 4' (hence the cattle panels), then bird netting, loosely attached so it would not be a secure place for critters to try to cross or access.

I'm only 5'3", don't need it 6' tall.

In case I've not mentioned it, the area next to the shed is roughly 12' x 16' (the length of the shed). Since it's next to a wooded lot it would get a good amount of shade.

To protect your hands, invest in electric metal shears. They're not expensive and work beautifully (I'm an arthritis sufferer myself).

Get this sort, not the ones that take a kerf out because that would salt your coop and run with tiny bits of metal: https://www.harborfreight.com/power...hears/35-amp-18-gauge-metal-shears-61737.html

:thumbsup That's an option I was not aware of. The powered metal shears I was aware of were well over $150.00. Nice link.

Having said that, I would still suggest considering the 4-1/2 inch grinder which is a tool that can be used for lots of different type jobs. All you need to do is swap out the appropriate wheel. You can buy metal cut-off wheels, grinding wheels, wire brush, and all kinds of sanding discs for the grinder. Those are just the ones I use a lot.

:thumbsup That's an option I was not aware of. The powered metal shears I was aware of were well over $150.00. Nice link.

Having said that, I would still suggest considering the 4-1/2 inch grinder which is a tool that can be used for lots of different type jobs. All you need to do is swap out the appropriate wheel. You can buy metal cut-off wheels, grinding wheels, wire brush, and all kinds of sanding discs for the grinder. Those are just the ones I use a lot.
Could I just use a grinding attachment on my drill?

ETA: I can't find a small cattle/hog panel, not even an 8', everything local is 16'. :barnie:barnie:barnie

Exactly the kind of job you would use a 4-1/2 grinder to cut that 16' panel down to an 8' foot panel. Those cattle/hog panels are made with thick wire. I use my grinders with a metal cut-off wheel on them, but you could also use a bolt cutter if you have the strength. Actually, from what you have posted, I think the grinder would be the better option for you.

Exactly the kind of job you would use a 4-1/2 grinder to cut that 16' panel down to an 8' foot panel. Those cattle/hog panels are made with thick wire. I use my grinders with a metal cut-off wheel on them, but you could also use a bolt cutter if you have the strength. Actually, from what you have posted, I think the grinder would be the better option for you.
Woo! I never would have considered cutting the panel, thank you! :wee

The grinder and wheels are in stock at HF. Think I might stop there after work. ;)

ETA: we do have a set of bolt cutters but I don't have the strength, unfortunately. My hands just don't work like they used to.

ETA2: if I got a 16' panel I could cut it to fit the area between the shed and chain link fence, which would be about 11-12', use the remainder to make a door... :yesss:

I'm only 5'3", don't need it 6' tall.
Understand, The point I was trying to make was that, at my age, I don't want to bend over when I go into the chicken run. I need to stand up and be comfortable when I work.

I also like the idea of something inexpensive to use to cut wire/fence/HWC. We do have a circular saw, and a drill (mine mine mine! 🥰 ) plus a couple wood saws.

You can buy metal cut off wheels for a circular saw. I have never used one, so I cannot offer any thoughts on using one. I always use my grinders for that job.

Could I just use a grinding attachment on my drill?

I have used grinding attachments on my drill, but you need something like a cut-off wheel. I know they are different wheels for the 4-1/2 grinder tool. You can use a grinding wheel to cut through wire, it just takes a lot longer. I don't have, and have never used, a cut-off wheel on my drill.

I know DeWalt makes the DEWALT Metal Shears Attachment, Impact Ready for drills. I imagine that would work. But it costs about $60.00. Might be the perfect attachment for someone, but I still prefer the 4-1/2 inch grinder which would be more versatile and could be used for many other jobs. Understand you probably don't want or need a grinder, but I just use my grinder so much that it's a tool I can recommend. I have not used this attachment, but I hear good reviews about it.

715kVGaB4NL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Here is a YouTube video review and how to use clip....

You can also get a metal blade for a reciprocating saw, and metal blades for a jigsaw, which I have used. They work good too. I guess there are many ways to tackle cutting wire fencing depending on what tools you already have and which would work best for you. Lots of options to consider.

If you end up going into a store, don't be afraid to ask the salesperson for some ideas. Sometimes you might get lucky and find someone with life experience with the products.

Most of time, however, I only find a young kid with little to no life experience in using tools and maybe only started working at the store last week. Not too helpful. :tongue

ETA: we do have a set of bolt cutters but I don't have the strength, unfortunately. My hands just don't work like they used to.

:old I have a couple of nice bolt cutters. I used them a lot over the years when I was younger and stronger. Now, however, I find myself using one of my 4-1/2 inch grinders with a metal cut-off wheel these days for those same jobs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read the ventilation articles by @3KillerBs and others, and your post reminded me that more screening is best. I was going to place the coop against the big shed, but probably won't now.

🤔🤔🤔

Are there removable attachment options beside wood screws that you'd recommend?

Wow, thanks! We have a Harbor Freight in town and I have a circular saw, too.

Agreed!

Question to All:
What do you think is the best height option for HWC, 24", 36", or 48"? I'm trying to avoid as much cutting as possible as I have arthritis in my cutting hand/thumb. I have four 24" rolls (partial) with 1/2"x1/2" openings that I bought second-hand, but want something taller for less piecing together.
Did you know they sell 6 ft high 1/2" hardware cloth in 50 ft or 100 ft lengths? So far, I usually find it on Amazon, not in stores, but for large panels or amounts, 6ft high is super helpful. A lot less seams. You could use it (theoretically) to cover your 4 ft fence, and then bend it at the bottom for a roughly 2 ft apron. You could use wooden slats and/or radial washers along with screws to secure it at the bottom of the structure where it bends into the apron.

Did you know they sell 6 ft high 1/2" hardware cloth in 50 ft or 100 ft lengths? So far, I usually find it on Amazon, not in stores, but for large panels or amounts, 6ft high is super helpful. A lot less seams. You could use it (theoretically) to cover your 4 ft fence, and then bend it at the bottom for a roughly 2 ft apron. You could use wooden slats and/or radial washers along with screws to secure it at the bottom of the structure where it bends into the apron.
Nice idea.

However...the 50' rolls of 72" HWC weigh 47lbs each, and I can't lift much more than 25-30lbs. The 50' roll of 48" HWC weighs 30lbs. I can manage that much weight for short distances.

Other considerations: two 50' rolls of 72" would be $300, versus $110 for two 48" rolls. The 72" may be a better bargain but if I can't physically handle it, it's not worth the extra expenditure.

But I really do appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom