fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Nice idea.

However...the 50' rolls of 72" HWC weigh 47lbs each, and I can't lift much more than 25-30lbs. The 50' roll of 48" HWC weighs 30lbs. I can manage that much weight for short distances.

Other considerations: two 50' rolls of 72" would be $300, versus $110 for two 48" rolls. The 72" may be a better bargain but if I can't physically handle it, it's not worth the extra expenditure.

But I really do appreciate your input.
Good point about the weight - yeah those things can be heavy. I use a utility dolly or hand truck to transport the boxes to the back yard, then lay them in the yard and push to unroll across the ground the lengths I need. I never actually pick up the boxes, I walk them on end onto the dolly, then push the dolly. Kinda how you maneuver a K-bottle or gas cylinder. I can pick up one end of the box and rotate it in order to walk it onto the dolly even though I can't pick up the whole box.

In my case, I really did need the 6 ft height, and attached a separate smaller width length of hardware cloth for an apron.

Did you know they sell 6 ft high 1/2" hardware cloth in 50 ft or 100 ft lengths?

I did not know that. They only sell up to the 48" high hardware cloth in town.

However...the 50' rolls of 72" HWC weigh 47lbs each, and I can't lift much more than 25-30lbs. The 50' roll of 48" HWC weighs 30lbs. I can manage that much weight for short distances.

Yeah, those wire rolls get heavy, fast. :tongue We all need some young strongback family or friend to help with those loads.

:old I can't safely lift as much as I did when I was younger. One of the best things I have done is buy 4-wheeled Gorilla carts to carry those loads. I actually bought an off brand to save money, but the design is similar.

81-VfpVRKRL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

09901987.jpg

I have one of each type, open wire and closed tub. My carts also have dual purpose handles that covert to being towed behind my riding mower. For really heavy loads, I just hitch the cart to my riding mower. But you can certainly move lots of heavy loads by hand with a 4-wheeled cart that you could not carry yourself, or even with a typical wheelbarrow. Wheels are good.

Both types of carts, open or closed, have advantages. I find I use the closed tub cart more often mainly because I use it to mix compost and soil and cart it off to refill my garden beds.

Other considerations: two 50' rolls of 72" would be $300, versus $110 for two 48" rolls. The 72" may be a better bargain but if I can't physically handle it, it's not worth the extra expenditure.

:idunno Not understanding the math there. Seems like 4 rolls of 48" HWC would be cheaper ($220) than 2 rolls of 72" HWC ($300) by the numbers you posted. Does not compute in my experience. You usually get a discount for a taller roll of HWC.

:idunno Not understanding the math there. Seems like 4 rolls of 48" HWC would be cheaper ($220) than 2 rolls of 72" HWC ($300) by the numbers you posted. Does not compute in my experience. You usually get a discount for a taller roll of HWC.

Right now, the 6ft by 100 ft 1/2" hardware cloth is selling for 299 on Amazon but with a $35 coupon, so that would be $264, which is about the price I bought it for almost a year ago. For me, the 6 ft height meant less seams to weave together using wire, which was a significant time and effort savings for me when building a greenhouse frame hoop coop covered in hardware cloth. The price can vary on Amazon, but I do check it periodically if I have a project coming up that requires it. I haven't seen it in any stores around me, but it sure does make life easier sometimes. But it's only worth using it if it works better for your project than something smaller in height.

1673541613147.png

I did not know that. They only sell up to the 48" high hardware cloth in town.

Yeah, those wire rolls get heavy, fast. :tongue We all need some young strongback family or friend to help with those loads.

:old I can't safely lift as much as I did when I was younger. One of the best things I have done is buy 4-wheeled Gorilla carts to carry those loads. I actually bought an off brand to save money, but the design is similar.

81-VfpVRKRL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

09901987.jpg

I have one of each type, open wire and closed tub. My carts also have dual purpose handles that covert to being towed behind my riding mower. For really heavy loads, I just hitch the cart to my riding mower. But you can certainly move lots of heavy loads by hand with a 4-wheeled cart that you could not carry yourself, or even with a typical wheelbarrow. Wheels are good.

Both types of carts, open or closed, have advantages. I find I use the closed tub cart more often mainly because I use it to mix compost and soil and cart it off to refill my garden beds.

The 50' roll of 48" tall is on sale now on Amazon. I have $55 in credit, total to buy them is $102. (link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PQ11RG3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3C3UT11LATTSP&th=1)

Cattle panels are $35 each, three would do me.

Outlay for 3 16' x 50" panels plus 2 50' rolls of 48" HWC = $200+. That math works for me.

Last edited:
The 50' roll of 48" tall is on sale now on Amazon. I have $55 in credit, total to buy them is $102.

Outlay for 3 16' x 50" panels plus 2 50' rolls of 48" HWC = $200+. That math works for me.
Oh, and grinder plus wheels is just over $25.00, demo circular saw blade is $12.00. If I add the metal cutter it would be $40.00 more. I'm still under $300 though I'll need to buy some fasteners. I have TONS of wood screws in boxes, might have enough.

Those cattle panels can be used for lots of projects. On my long list, I would like to build a greenhouse using pallet wood on the bottom frame, about waist high, and topping it off with domed cattle panels. I have seen a few designs that I like.

I have also seen those cattle panels used to make sheds, and animal shelters, like a chicken coop. I guess a person is only limited by their imagination.

Those cattle panels can be used for lots of projects. On my long list, I would like to build a greenhouse using pallet wood on the bottom frame, about waist high, and topping it off with domed cattle panels. I have seen a few designs that I like.

I have also seen those cattle panels used to make sheds, and animal shelters, like a chicken coop. I guess a person is only limited by their imagination.
I've been thinking about the panels, maybe I could use one on the coop roof as support.
🤔🤔🤔

On the drive home I stopped at HF and picked up the three items that were in stock. The grinder wheels were on sale. 😁😁😁

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_170646015~2.jpg
    IMG_20230112_170646015~2.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 3
I was trying to figure out how to transport the 16' cattle panels in our Tundra when I came across this post:
Just in case you haven't figured out the easiest way to transport the panels I will try to explain. You need a pickup truck. Don't need a trailer. Need a second person.
Stand the panel on edge. Push the ends together. Place in bed of truck standing on edge with the bow against the cab. Keep adding panels the same way. The panels will push against the bed rails making them solid. I've transported 25 at a time in a full size pu and could of easily added more.
:ya:ya:ya

I've been thinking about the panels, maybe I could use one on the coop roof as support.
🤔🤔🤔

On the drive home I stopped at HF and picked up the three items that were in stock. The grinder wheels were on sale. 😁😁😁

That should work out good for you. I like buying inexpensive stuff from HF. Not everybody needs contractor grade tools or supplies for our simple projects. I prefer to save money where I can.

FWIW, I do have a $100.00 4-1/2 inch grinder, but that $15.00 HF grinder should work just as good for what you need.

Back
Top Bottom