fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
So, might I suggest you consider buying an inexpensive electric 4-1/2 inch grinder like this one at Harbor Freight for $14.99.

Just a note for anyone reading this in the future, the company that sold our metal roofing said that using a grinder to cut it would invalidate their warranty and recommended the shears I've posted.

I'm only 5'3", don't need it 6' tall.

Beware. Bedding builds up and stuff hangs down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/#post-24739887

A short coop and a cuphook cost me an ER bill for 10 staples in my scalp.

I know DeWalt makes the DEWALT Metal Shears Attachment, Impact Ready for drills. I imagine that would work. But it costs about $60.00. Might be the perfect attachment for someone, but I still prefer the 4-1/2 inch grinder which would be more versatile and could be used for many other jobs. Understand you probably don't want or need a grinder, but I just use my grinder so much that it's a tool I can recommend. I have not used this attachment, but I hear good reviews about it.

Again, just because people will read this thread in the future, it's important not to get the sort of shears that take a kerf out of the cut and leave bits of metal behind.

I'm not familiar with that attachment so I don't know if it takes a kerf or not.

Good point about the weight - yeah those things can be heavy. I use a utility dolly or hand truck to transport the boxes to the back yard, then lay them in the yard and push to unroll across the ground the lengths I need. I never actually pick up the boxes, I walk them on end onto the dolly, then push the dolly.

I use teenage sons to haul the wire and just roll it across the lawn after that. ;)

I stopped by a local thrift store this morning to drop off donations and saw a pallet by their dumpster. They told me I could take it, and it even fit in my backseat, score!

Love my Honda.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_124445321_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230113_124445321_HDR.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230113_124738325_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230113_124738325_HDR.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 4
Just a note for anyone reading this in the future, the company that sold our metal roofing said that using a grinder to cut it would invalidate their warranty and recommended the shears I've posted.
Good point, thanks. I was going to use the grinder just to cut the cattle panels.

I stopped by a local thrift store this morning to drop off donations and saw a pallet by their dumpster. They told me I could take it, and it even fit in my backseat, score!

Love my Honda.

:lau I think you got the use of the tarp reversed. I'd put the tarp in the Honda to protect the cloth seats. You don't need a tarp to store the pallet outside.

More seriously, nice score. FWIW, I keep a dog blanket in each of our cars in case I have to throw something dirty/nasty/wet/etc.., in the back seat. I picked up a few brand new dog/pet blankets on sale at Menards (free after rebate) and they are stored in the trunk. They are thick enough to protect the cloth seats from something that might rip them, like a pallet.

Good point, thanks. I was going to use the grinder just to cut the cattle panels.

I would not worry about cutting cattle panels or tin roofing for a chicken coop with a grinder. Insurance is not going to cover anything like that anyway. They are more interested in standards in building a house.

:lau I think you got the use of the tarp reversed. I'd put the tarp in the Honda to protect the cloth seats. You don't need a tarp to store the pallet outside.

More seriously, nice score. FWIW, I keep a dog blanket in each of our cars in case I have to throw something dirty/nasty/wet/etc.., in the back seat. I picked up a few brand new dog/pet blankets on sale at Menards (free after rebate) and they are stored in the trunk. They are thick enough to protect the cloth seats from something that might rip them, like a pallet.
I had an old blanket in the back but it slid down. The nice guy who works at the thrift store wasn't there, and no one else offered to help me get the pallet in the backseat.

Just because people will read this thread in the future, it's important not to get the sort of shears that take a kerf out of the cut and leave bits of metal behind.

I'm not familiar with that attachment so I don't know if it takes a kerf or not.
Oh, I'm still planning on getting those shears, they're just not in stock right now.

I wish I had teenaged sons... 😎

I'm not familiar with that [DeWalt] attachment so I don't know if it takes a kerf or not.

According to DeWalt, it's like a powered scissors with one side of the cut being smooth, and the other side is wavy. No leftover tin strips/kerf to worry about.

I don't have one, either. But the videos on YouTube look like the attachment works good for what it is designed to cut, e.g. tin. I think the grinder option can be used for more jobs and I would recommend that before the DeWalt attachment. But I have a number of grinders and know what kinds of jobs they can do. Like many people, I stick with what I know works for me.

Back
Top Bottom