fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Anyone good at geometry? If I wedged those 16' panels to make a hoop, how tall would it be in the middle?

This might help....

490036.jpg

Example: For a 16 foot cattle panel, 8 feet wide, it would be 6.13 feet tall in the middle.

There are a number of considerations to think about. If you live in a snow state, you want a higher, narrower dome to shed the snow. If not, the snow will pile up on a flatter dome and collapse your structure. If you don't have to worry about snow, then you can spread out the cattle panel more and have more usable space for the chickens, for example, but you would have less headroom for people.

For people in snow states, I have seen them build up a base wall, like using pallets about waist high, and then spreading out the dome but adding a brace(s) along the top for snow load protection.

EDIT: For some reason, the picture I copied does not seem to show in the post, so here is the link to the graph.

I would not worry about cutting cattle panels or tin roofing for a chicken coop with a grinder. Insurance is not going to cover anything like that anyway. They are more interested in standards in building a house.

Not insurance, the warranty on the 50-year metal roofing. :D

Anyone good at geometry? If I wedged those 16' panels to make a hoop, how tall would it be in the middle?

I don't know, but I think at least one of these articles mentions it:

Hoop Coops

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-biddie-bordello-a-hoop-coop-run-combo.72189/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

This might help....

490036.jpg

Example: For a 16 foot cattle panel, 8 feet wide, it would be 6.13 feet tall in the middle.

There are a number of considerations to think about. If you live in a snow state, you want a higher, narrower dome to shed the snow. If not, the snow will pile up on a flatter dome and collapse your structure. If you don't have to worry about snow, then you can spread out the cattle panel more and have more usable space for the chickens, for example, but you would have less headroom for people.

For people in snow states, I have seen them build up a base wall, like using pallets about waist high, and then spreading out the dome but adding a brace(s) along the top for snow load protection.

EDIT: For some reason, the picture I copied does not seem to show in the post, so here is the link to the graph.
Thank you!

We don't get much snow here, usually just a couple inches during the winter.

The space for the run is about 11' wide, 10' would make the height 5'6".

Guess I'll go back and look at the hoop threads again.

Did an inventory of the shed and yard for items to use for the chicken pen:

Wood
  • 5 (or 6) - 2"x4"x8' (in the shed loft)
  • 15 - 1"x5"x28" boards
  • 5 - 2"x4"x4' boards
  • 1 - 2'x4' plywood board
  • 1 unknown size plywood board, have to unbury it from behind lawnmowers and lattice, probably about 6'x4'
  • Assorted scraps of lattice
  • 7 wood pallets, various sizes
Metal
  • Assorted metal poles, various lengths (was going to use for chain link fence repair)
  • 1 - 6' metal fence post
  • 3 - 3' metal fence posts
Fencing
  • 20' or 26'x48" coated wire fencing (3"X2" openings) I didn't know I had this!
  • 1 - 10'x24" Hardware cloth (1/4" openings)
  • 1 - Partial roll 24" Hardware cloth (1/4") Note: I know there are two more rolls somewhere!
  • 2 - 50' rolls 48" Hardware cloth (1/2") ordered from Amazon
  • 4 - 16'x50" cattle panels (not yet purchased)
Hardware

Lots on hand, boxes of screws, staples, etc.
Thinking about getting hog rings, so many here have used them.

Roof
  • 7'x100' roll of netting (1/2" openings)
  • Large roll of landscape fabric 🤔
I was SO tickled to discover the coated wire fence (it has a Habitat for Humanity tag) and the netting (yard sale purchase).

I'm stoked!

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_152244497_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230113_152244497_HDR.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230113_152736159.jpg
    IMG_20230113_152736159.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom