fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Cattle panels are attached on the INSIDE of the frame. Some people here put the hardware cloth on the inside, some on the outside.

Does it matter?

I am thinking I could just cover the whole hoop with HWC, over the panels. I got 48" wide, which should cover each panel (50" minus overlap) nicely.

Cattle panels are attached on the INSIDE of the frame. Some people here put the hardware cloth on the inside, some on the outside.

Does it matter?

I am thinking I could just cover the whole hoop with HWC, over the panels. I got 48" wide, which should cover each panel (50" minus overlap) nicely.
Hardware cloth on the outside. That way the cattle panels can help support its weight, and securing it tight to the cattle panels will help keep predators from getting ahold of it and tearing through it. If they can't grab it and pull, it's harder for them.

Hardware cloth on the outside. That way the cattle panels can help support its weight, and securing it tight to the cattle panels will help keep predators from getting ahold of it and tearing through it. If they can't grab it and pull, it's harder for them.

Agree, from everything I have read. HWC on the outside is better option.

Last edited:

Agreed.

You don't want predators pushing in with only the fasteners taking the force. Wire always goes on the outside of the supports.

Agreed.

You don't want predators pushing in with only the fasteners taking the force. Wire always goes on the outside of the supports.
I've mounted my 10'x6' chain link dog kennel fence panels "backwards" to what the directions say for just this reason. I figured I want the chain link outside the posts so that when a predator attacks my run, it will have to push against my post/frame and not just the wire mesh. For a dog, they're trying to get out, and they're super strong and heavy, so the mesh goes on the inside of the pen. What you need to do for dogs is opposite what you need to do for chickens. If you get a choice in how you set it up, of course.

One of the things I liked with this build is they attached the wooden frame lengths to the cattle panels while the panels were lying flat on the ground, then raised it to make the hoop and attached the sides. They also suggested attaching the HWC while the panels were flat on the ground. 🤨🤔🧐

One of the things I liked with this build is they attached the wooden frame lengths to the cattle panels while the panels were lying flat on the ground, then raised it to make the hoop and attached the sides. They also suggested attaching the HWC while the panels were flat on the ground. 🤨🤔🧐
As long as there's a bit of give in the hardware cloth attachment method to the cattle panels to accommodate the bend, that should work fine. Just a bit of give, not too much. Cage clips might be a good choice for you, or you can make a twist tie out of regular 19 or 20 gage galvanized steel wire. I had trouble making the hog rings work. Also don't forget, once it's bent you can attach the hardware cloth to the catttle panel while standing inside the run. It's not high over your head, so totally doable as long as the hardware cloth is encouraged to lie flat.

We put the greenhouse frame together, pulled the hardware cloth over top of it, then used metal zip ties to secure the HWC to the greenhouse poles. I would stand inside the run, bend the zip ties into a J shape, but with 90 degree bends, then feed the short end through the hardware cloth. I would push it until it stood straight out from the frame in it's J shape, then I would pull it back through when the short end was in the hole I wanted and after that I'd secure the zip tie to itself and pull hard with two sets of needlenose pliers. Don't think you need the metal zip ties, but the concept might work for you.

You all are so helpful! Thank you again for all the suggestions.

My latest diagram, this one has been added to my notebook.

I'm sure I could use parts of the pallets for the end, to help make a door frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_181950697~2.jpg
    IMG_20230113_181950697~2.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom