fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
1/4" isn't the best option unless your primary problem is mice.

1/2" hardware cloth is usually made from a thicker, stronger wire, which makes it better because raccoons and some other stronger predators can rip through the finer wire used in the 1/4" hardware cloth.
I have run out of 1/2" hardware cloth on the build. The only remaining areas that I need it are:
  • Top 12" of door (over a piece of coated fencing, see photo)
  • Beside the door, both sides, above about 14"
  • Apron in front of the door side
021923  Coop.jpg

I hate the thought of buying a roll of HWC ($$$!) for just these areas when I have some 1/4" hardware cloth available that is probably enough to finish the job.

I understand that 1/4" HWC is probably not as strong as 1/2", but would it make a difference in these areas?

Thanks for your input.

I have run out of 1/2" hardware cloth on the build. The only remaining areas that I need it are:
View attachment 3411706

I hate the thought of buying a roll of HWC ($$$!) for just these areas when I have some 1/4" hardware cloth available that is probably enough to finish the job.

I understand that 1/4" HWC is probably not as strong as 1/2", but would it make a difference in these areas?

Thanks for your input.

That's hard to say.

The combo of the heavier and lighter wire *ought* to be good, but I'd worry that the light wire alone might be a vulnerable spot that a raccoon could exploit. :(

Garden centers sell smaller rolls of shorter hardware cloth. Or you might be able to pick some up at a thrift store -- I've gotten odds and ends of stuff that way.

Or maybe ask friends and family if they've got any scrap taking up space in their garages that they'd be willing to part with?

That's hard to say.

The combo of the heavier and lighter wire *ought* to be good, but I'd worry that the light wire alone might be a vulnerable spot that a raccoon could exploit. :(

Garden centers sell smaller rolls of shorter hardware cloth. Or you might be able to pick some up at a thrift store -- I've gotten odds and ends of stuff that way.

Or maybe ask friends and family if they've got any scrap taking up space in their garages that they'd be willing to part with?
Thanks.

I've been looking. Habitat for Humanity is not possible due to location.

No other thrift stores that have garden supplies.

Amazon is too slow (delivery NEXT WEEK?) and the prices are outrageous.

No Home Depot here.

Lowe's has 24"x25' for $40.

Tractor Supply has 24"x10' for $22. I'd need at least two rolls.

AgriSupply has a 24"x50' roll for $65, the 25' roll is $41.00. I only need about 20' but would hate to run out again.

It's not worth skimping when my chicks are counting on me to protect them. :sigh:

A planning and doing thread...

Once upon a time about 30 years ago I went to a flea market with a friend who was planning on purchasing some bantam chickens for her mini farm. She found a trio of hens plus a rooster, very fluffy...I think they were Silkies. I impulsively bought a trio of black rosecomb hens plus rooster. My children named them Eenie, Meenie, Miney, and Moe (the rooster). :cool: Miney went broody almost immediately, so we put her in an old fashioned wire chicken cage we'd been given, and so she sat on top of about a dozen eggs while the other chickens had the run of a yard we'd thrown together. Miney was the lucky one, as something killed the other three one night, and I learned about predators very quickly. I then created a chicken coop and run that kept my chickens safe for several years.

The chicks Miney brooded until shortly before hatching became the basis of years of fun with our little feathered friends, and now, for about three years, I've been mentally planning to have bantams again.

I've been there, done that, not technically a complete newbie, but I'm not 30 anymore, I have physical limitations plus my husband is disabled and will not be able to assist in anything but in a superficial way.

I'm creating this thread as a type of journal of my journey back, I hope, to having chickens again. Do feel free to chirp your insights and thoughts along the way. :jumpy:jumpy
Good for you! As we mature (I refuse to use the "O" word) we can usually find new and safe ways to do the same things, I married a man 40 years ago who is 10 years younger than me, so that was a good first step. The fact that he is so excited about new chicks this time around is such a blessing, i wish you best of luck.

Three months later, moving along...

I've decided to give "building it myself" a try, the outlay for a new coop is a little steep for my budget at this time.

A couple weeks ago I went to the post office in a small town nearby and they had a huge stack of almost new pallets by the parking area. I got permission to take some ("Please!" the postal clerk said) and brought home six. I have lots of hardware cloth (I've purchased partial rolls at yard sales and thrift stores) and have been thinking about what I want to do.

I don't want the coop way in the back, near the neighbors whose property is directly behind my yard, and out of sight by the woods. I'm thinking of tucking it in just to the left of the driveway, behind the chain link fence that encompasses our backyard. That location would mean I'd have existing chain link fence to build upon with chicken wire and hardware cloth. And it would be close enough to the house (15'-20') for easy access.

Attached is my not-to-scale thoughts from this morning.
Be sure you bury 12" of that wire all around, even with the chain link.

I have, but thanks for the reminder.

I have a dog crate and a brooder plate!

I have straw.

And a small waterer (I recall the need for marbles) and a small feeder!

:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate
Looking over my options:
  • I have a cage type of dog crate with a slide tray bottom, and a friend is offering the use of a large plastic dog crate (can separate into top and bottom sections) which I could use to expand the brooder.

• I am planning on using cardboard along the sides of the cage dog crate to keep the chicks out of any breeze and a shower curtain across the top to prevent rain from getting in. I could add 1/4" HWC around the crate also, although I'm pretty certain that my hoop coop will be about a predator proof as I can possibly make it.

• I have lots of clean straw for bedding in the brooder, and a brooder plate.
    The electricity for the brooder plate will be supplied by an outside rated extension cord plugged into an outlet in the shed.
If the temperature drops below 50 I'm wondering if I should move the brooder into the shed. I am leery of adding a heat lamp to the outside setup, which would entail running two cords from the shed. The breaker is (I think) is either 15 or 20 amps, and on the circuit I'm running a refrigerator and a small chest freezer. Running a light bulb as well as the heater plate might pop the breaker, with disastrous results.

Average lows this time of year can dip into the lower 40s, so I'm a little concerned.

Input? :pop

Running a light bulb as well as the heater plate might pop the breaker, with disastrous results.

Wise to think about this.

In that circumstances moving the brooder on cold nights until they're a little older might be a good idea, especially for bantams.

Since you're buying from a local breeder you can probably get good advice about these specific birds there. :)

Wise to think about this.

In that circumstances moving the brooder on cold nights until they're a little older might be a good idea, especially for bantams.

Since you're buying from a local breeder you can probably get good advice about these specific birds there. :)
I wonder sometimes if I'm OVER-thinking!

Thanks.

View attachment 3411706

Thanks for your input.
I love your build! Looks like a lot of work!

It's all about risk.

It sucks having to buy more hardware cloth, but make the choice that lets you sleep at night. If it helps, one pizza from Papa Johns runs about $25+, and going out to eat for two people can be anywhere from $25-50.00+ USD. For me, the life of my chickens is worth forgoing a nice meal or a pizza. It's all about perspective and risk aversion/acceptance, and everyone's decisions may be slightly different. At a minimum, I'd get some 1/2" hardware cloth to finish the apron. Then the priority would be the area beside the door, then the door itself (the larger fencing provides some protection, and it's not at ground level). At least, that would be my assessment.

I love what you've done with your coop!

Back
Top Bottom