fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Here's the thing .... when grass grows through, it will pretty much 'lock it in place' ... but you probably don't want it 'locked in place' with the edges sticking up. So, once the grass grows through, it won't matter if the landscape pins are there or not. But, the grass won't pull the edges down for you. And, while bricks can help do that, the grass obviously won't grow where the bricks are.

So, especially if you are looking to run the lawn mover over it, you want the edges held down so that can happen. And, bricks won't work to well from a lawn mowing perspective.

Here's the thing .... when grass grows through, it will pretty much 'lock it in place' ... but you probably don't want it 'locked in place' with the edges sticking up. So, once the grass grows through, it won't matter if the landscape pins are there or not. But, the grass won't pull the edges down for you. And, while bricks can help do that, the grass obviously won't grow where the bricks are.

So, especially if you are looking to run the lawn mover over it, you want the edges held down so that can happen. And, bricks won't work to well from a lawn mowing perspective.
Helpful, thank you.

I'm supposed to pick up the chicks tomorrow, so the most important items are what I am planning to do this evening after work:
  • Finish main door (hanging strap attachment)
  • Straw and MHP into brooder
  • Set up water and food (up on blocks, marbles in water)
  • Cardboard on brooder door
:hmm:cool::D

Hatchery just emailed me, we're all set for tomorrow morning.

:wee:ya:celebrate

Chicks are NOT vaccinated, facility is NPIP AI clean, no visitors allowed. Pick up is by appointment only.

Looks good! :thumbsup

I'm so nervous, never expected to be since I did have chickens before.

Now, where's my chick checklist? :oops:

CHICK LIST
  • Add cardboard bumpers (to block drafts) - DONE
  • Add cardboard to brooder door
  • Run electric cord to coop - DONE
  • (Make MHP if needed) - DONE
  • Add straw
  • Add waterer and feeder
  • Finish main door (hanging strip)
  • Buy chick food - DONE
  • Bring home chicks!

Water: I know to add the marbles, have some pretty glass "rocks" I put aside just for that purpose, but should I use the Corid and/or ACV in the water as a preventative? I think I've read TOO much, am getting confuzzled.

Last edited:
Around 4 weeks I introduce a horizontal nipple waterer into the brooder. I use containers that hold one gallon of water and have a lid I can get my hand through, and the Roosty's horizontal nipples because they have a backing ring which keeps the gasket tight to thin plastic. I wire my waterer to the side of the dog cage and raise it up as the chicks get taller. Changing out water is my least favorite part of chick tending - it gets nasty!

Gallon Container:
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/189793

Horizontal Nipples:
1677691000354.png

You could try the drinking cups on a similar container, I'm just pointing out that you may want a different solution than the standard gravity fed chick waterer for the brooder as soon as possible, and that your 5 gallon bucket, while great for the main coop, won't fit in the brooder. If your chicks are out in the hoop coop by 4 weeks, this idea won't be applicable to you, but thought I'd share just in case.

Around 4 weeks I introduce a horizontal nipple waterer into the brooder. I use containers that hold one gallon of water and have a lid I can get my hand through, and the Roosty's horizontal nipples because they have a backing ring which keeps the gasket tight to thin plastic. I wire my waterer to the side of the dog cage and raise it up as the chicks get taller. Changing out water is my least favorite part of chick tending - it gets nasty!

Gallon Container:
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/189793

Horizontal Nipples:
View attachment 3418868

You could try the drinking cups on a similar container, I'm just pointing out that you may want a different solution than the standard gravity fed chick waterer for the brooder as soon as possible, and that your 5 gallon bucket, while great for the main coop, won't fit in the brooder. If your chicks are out in the hoop coop by 4 weeks, this idea won't be applicable to you, but thought I'd share just in case.
The company I purchased the drinking cups from sent me an extra one, so I can use it on a smaller container as per your suggestion!

Thanks.

CHICK LIST
  • Add cardboard bumpers (to block drafts) - DONE
  • Add cardboard to door
  • Run electric cord to coop - DONE
  • (Make MHP if needed) - DONE
  • Add straw
  • Add waterer and feeder
  • Buy chick food - DONE
  • Bring home chicks!

Water: I know to add the marbles, have some pretty glass "rocks" I put aside just for that purpose, but should I use the Corid and/or ACV in the water as a preventative? I think I've read TOO much, am getting confuzzled.
Got this from another thread:

It can take 3-7 days for chicks to become infected by oocysts. So it would be a good idea if you are putting chicks on New Ground to go ahead and provide them with Corid.

Dose for liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days. @Wyorp Rock

:pop:pop:pop

BYC is the best!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom