fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
From Wednesday evening

IMG_20230405_172600661_HDR.jpg

"Purple/yellow"
1000009183.jpg

I'd removed the Ball jar reservoir from the chick feeder the night before, and the chicks had eaten most of what was in the base. They also were doing a lot of scratching in the area where feed had been spilled.

And a few cockerels figured out the port feeder.
1000009202.jpg

I hope this will work okay...

The pillowcases around the MHP kept drooping, closing up the entrance, so I got creative with binder clips and zip-ties (this is the underside):

View attachment 3419221
Hard to see but the underside stays open now.

I put a layer of straw around the sides and back, some underneath and a little on top.

View attachment 3419238

And slid a piece of cardboard in place.

View attachment 3419239

I'm going to check on the heating pad before bed, and first thing in the morning.

I'll fill the waterer and feeder when we get home with the chicks tomorrow.

Waddayathink? :pop
I really like this! Clever!!!! Inspiring, too! Giving me lots of ideas!

I noticed this morning that the long range weather forecast has overnight temps about 40°F...now that I unplugged the MHP.
:rolleyes::th:barnie

I'm going to see how they do over the weekend.I was planning to remove the brooder and place the roost in its place, with lots of straw underneath in case they want to huddle.

At their age and with their feathers they should be fine. Just make sure that their area is draft-free and that they can snuggle up to each other.

Got home from work, went out to check on the flock...and decided to remove the brooder and move the roost into position.

First I needed to remove the MHP from the brooder. I'd not realized how secure I'd made it...
IMG_20230406_165913486.jpg

I removed the cardboard bumpers, MHP, and shook out the straw. Then I placed the brooder outside the coop, raked the area, and secured the assistance of my son to move the roost into place.
IMG_20230406_171103044.jpg

I put a cement block on each end so the straw might stay in place.
IMG_20230406_174838142.jpg

The flock did some digging in the freshly raked debris. I almost looked as if they were making nests.
1000009206.jpg

Then I placed the port feeder on an inverted dog house base, and they all found it.
IMG_20230406_174626409_HDR.jpg

And I made a small roost using some cement blocks.
1000009207.jpg

Waitaminute...the feeder needs to be out of the weather...
:th
I dismantled the little roost and tried to find a stable base to raise the feeder off the ground. Nothing seemed to work. I finally came up with a solution, but had to use the cement blocks from the little roost.
:barnie

I improvised. I used spare boards and bricks to hold the straw under the roost, freeing up the cement blocks to recreate the little roost!
1000009242.jpg

IMG_20230406_191213106.jpg

IMG_20230406_193612978.jpg

IMG_20230406_193950118.jpg

Got home from work, went out to check on the flock...and decided to remove the brooder and move the roost into position.

First I needed to remove the MHP from the brooder. I'd not realized how secure I'd made it...
View attachment 3457977

I removed the cardboard bumpers, MHP, and shook out the straw. Then I placed the brooder outside the coop, raked the area, and secured the assistance of my son to move the roost into place.
View attachment 3457983

I put a cement block on each end so the straw might stay in place.
View attachment 3457986

The flock did some digging in the freshly raked debris. I almost looked as if they were making nests.
View attachment 3457987

Then I placed the port feeder on an inverted dog house base, and they all found it.
View attachment 3458025

And I made a small roost using some cement blocks.
View attachment 3458028

Waitaminute...the feeder needs to be out of the weather...
:th
I dismantled the little roost and tried to find a stable base to raise the feeder off the ground. Nothing seemed to work. I finally came up with a solution, but had to use the cement blocks from the little roost.
:barnie

I improvised. I used spare boards and bricks to hold the straw under the roost, freeing up the cement blocks to recreate the little roost!
View attachment 3458030
View attachment 3458033
View attachment 3458037
View attachment 3458054
I just checked on them...not one is roosting. Most are under the inverted dog house base. Two are on top.
:confused:

I just checked on them...not one is roosting. Most are under the inverted dog house base. Two are on top.
:confused:

Young ones usually sleep on the ground for a while.

As long as they have a protected area where the wind can't get to them they're fine. They'll learn to roost over time -- a little slower with no adults to teach them than if they saw older birds roosting. :)

Young ones usually sleep on the ground for a while.

As long as they have a protected area where the wind can't get to them they're fine. They'll learn to roost over time -- a little slower with no adults to teach them than if they saw older birds roosting. :)
Under the dog house base they're completely protected from wind and rain. I might throw some straw underneath tomorrow so they'll have a dry nest.

Earlier one of the cockerels was chasing the others, grabbing them by the neck or perhaps the comb. Normal behavior? Or was he upset over the changes in his environment?

Back
Top Bottom