fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Remember I lost Daisy, my 9 yr old Cream Legbar a while back? 🥹

I still have 3 of her sisters Dixie, Dot and Dahlia. Their birthday is this month and they are now 10 years old! 🥳

Yesterday Dixie laid a pretty blue egg!!!!
Perfect shell, too!!! 🪺

I am amazed! :ya

View attachment 3741525

Happy 10 years birthday, Dixie, Dot, and Dahlia! That is for sure a big thing to celebrate!! Your servant must be doing the job right. 😄

You can leave them on the kitchen table in a carton if you wish, but yes, I would also do as suggested and change the position of the eggs too.

Usually I just roll them around/turn them about once a day since I place eggs I'm collecting for hatch in a bowl.
That's what I started doing. I'm writing the date on one end and flipping it over when I add more the next day.
IMG_20240206_143633887.jpg

I still have 3 of her sisters Dixie, Dot and Dahlia. Their birthday is this month and they are now 10 years old! 🥳

Perfect shell, too!!! 🪺

View attachment 3741525
Congratulations!

Perfect shell, too!!! 🪺

View attachment 3741525
Go Daisy!
That's a pretty egg.
10 is a milestone for those Ladies.

That's what I started doing. I'm writing the date on one end and flipping it over when I add more the next day.
View attachment 3742075
Good idea!

So...today I have spent some time here searching for how others have handled a broody hatching chicks within the flock. Most of what I have read refers to flocks that free-range, not seen anyone else with the hoop coop. Some members say "Do it, worked for me!" while others say "No! The flock killed my chicks!"

My hoop coop is 16'x8' = 128 sq ft. I currently have 7 bantam hens, one roo.

Points to Ponder
  1. Eggs and broody would probably be in one of the nest boxes, which currently have a lip and are elevated
  2. Where would I place feeders and waterers that the chicks can access?
  3. I could move the broody on the nest into the dog crate brooder but with the door open (offer some protection for the chicks once they hatch and their food/water)
  4. Use the highest ranking hen if possible
If you have any input on this or can steer me to more information I would appreciate it. I may create a thread as well in the hatching or chick forums.

Here's the brooder I used for my day-old chicks:
IMG_20230316_172829250~3.jpg

Nesting boxes:
IMG_20230924_150314541~2.jpg

Last edited:
Lot's of people let broodies sit and raise chicks within the flock. Some have good success.

I only did this one time with my first broody hatch. She started out with 9 eggs which I had marked.

The main problem I had was the other hens in the flock keep getting in the nest box with the broody and adding eggs to her clutch. So I went out daily when she took her break to eat and removed all the newly added eggs. Thankfully, the hatching eggs were marked.

After a few days of this, I went out to do the routine. I found yolk on most of the eggs in her nest and 2 marked hatching eggs were missing. Evidently they were the broken ones. The commotion of the other hens laying more eggs in the nest caused the problem. She still had 7 left to hatch and they had yolk on them. I didn't want to move her at this point. I clean up the nest box and put those back. She came back in and went right back to sit.

Later I had another broken one. Clean up again. I was really worried about bacteria growing because of the yolk mess.

In the end, she hatched 4. 1 female and 3 male. 🙄

I was too "chicken" :lol: to try it again. So we added a broody box/run area for the next broody.
Next time I had broodies, I had 3 go all at once! :gig
Juggling chickens.

This may not happen to you.

Lot's of people let broodies sit and raise chicks within the flock. Some have good success.

I only did this one time with my first broody hatch. She started out with 9 eggs which I had marked.

The main problem I had was the other hens in the flock keep getting in the nest box with the broody and adding eggs to her clutch. So I went out daily when she took her break to eat and removed all the newly added eggs. Thankfully, the hatching eggs were marked.

After a few days of this, I went out to do the routine. I found yolk on most of the eggs in her nest and 2 marked hatching eggs were missing. Evidently they were the broken ones. The commotion of the other hens laying more eggs in the nest caused the problem. She still had 7 left to hatch and they had yolk on them. I didn't want to move her at this point. I clean up the nest box and put those back. She came back in and went right back to sit.

Later I had another broken one. Clean up again. I was really worried about bacteria growing because of the yolk mess.

In the end, she hatched 4. 1 female and 3 male. 🙄

I was too "chicken" :lol: to try it again. So we added a broody box/run area for the next broody.
Next time I had broodies, I had 3 go all at once! :gig
Juggling chickens.

This may not happen to you.
I appreciate your input!

I've been thinking of possible set-ups, but since none of the gals are currently broody, it's a bit of a moot point.
:gig

I've hatched within the flock before, you do want to mark the eggs. A broody is fierce when she has babies, so generally the other hens won't mess with her. Now if a chick happens to wander and is "alone" that may be a different matter. Depending on your rooster, he often keeps the peace when babies with a broody are running about.

I'd do it again. But I've read some threads where things just didn't work out either. You just never know. Chickens will be chickens at times.

Back
Top Bottom