fuzzi's Chicken Journal

DH had family that had commercial houses years ago. They raised broilers. They said they had random deaths often. These deaths were expected as broilers grow so fast they have problems. If they had many deaths at once they were to report to the commercial owner. Then they tested to look for a cause. Some issues caused the entire barn to be culled. Reimbursements were minimal so they lost money and time.

With all the commercial farms and all the technology I don't understand how a pathogen gets in those houses. The birds never see the sun much less free range. Many maintenance chores are automatic. Looks like they could isolate a few remote houses that had an outbreak. Watch and see what happens. Many will die. But not all. Study those birds.

It is obvious the flu is in migratory birds. It has been proven. Like covid, we have to live with it now. We cannot and do not want to kill all the birds in the world.

Also all breeds of waterfowl do not die from this flu. They need to learn why.

I followed a page last year of a private duck farm in Washington state that was affected during the holidays 2022. Some birds died and they tested the rest. They were not immediately culled because of bad weather and the holidays. The owners quarantined the sick and attempted to treat while they waited. Some had started to recover by the time the team arrived to cull. The owners offered to allow them to take the recovered and study them. They culled them all on site! :(

I've read studies that say birds once affected become carriers. Never seen any study reporting reactivation of the virus from a carrier. I have started recently seeing reports of some showing immunity like the falcons I posted above. Hope to see more of that!
Sometime in the last year or so I was reading (here?) about how chicken farms were trying to keep viruses from infecting the birds. They discovered that employees were not following sanitation protocols, were bringing the pathogens in on their shoes, clothing. For some people the rules don't apply 🙄

Sorry to hear about the forced cull. I work in a medical university setting. People don't stop to think, they just do as they were trained. Sometimes I just look at people doing stoopid stuff and wonder...how did they survive this far, you know?

As I was planting peas this afternoon the girls got really noisy, but not exactly like an egg song. I checked, two boxes just had the faux eggs.

But Hannah was in the left-hand box.
IMG_20240211_141835548~2.jpg

I hope she's doing better, she seemed a little withdrawn after Joel died. She was his favorite.

She is so pretty!

I did get my peas planted yesterday. I need to re-enforce my deer and rabbit deterrents. I had deer tracks in my big garden.
Oh, wait. I didn't put anything over the peas... :eek:
BRB...

Done!
IMG_20240211_160546267.jpg

IMG_20240211_160914009_HDR~2.jpg

I have had squirrels dig up my gardens for the seeds. The frost cover will discourage them.

Last edited:
They culled them all on site! :(
I truly hate when this happens.

I am one of those who believes that government does not want us to be self-sustained. BYC movement are not encouraged. Big commercial egg/meat productions can afford to cull and they do not care about avian flu immunity as it hurt small business more.

Two recent examples on government want us to rely on them:
-- Berkey is an amazing water filter. It benefitted so many people yet they are being bothered by nonsense. Here they are suing EPA back: https://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/blog/berkey/BERKEY-WATER-FILTERS-SUES-THE-EPA
-- Amos Miller is an honest amish farmer. They have been harassed by the federal and state government and has to put a pause on their business for now. My husband buys cheese from them, but he has to look for a different resource for now.

I wish the right to food was written in the constitution.

I truly hate when this happens.

I am one of those who believes that government does not want us to be self-sustained. BYC movement are not encouraged. Big commercial egg/meat productions can afford to cull and they do not care about avian flu immunity as it hurt small business more.

Two recent examples on government want us to rely on them:
-- Berkey is an amazing water filter. It benefitted so many people yet they are being bothered by nonsense. Here they are suing EPA back: https://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/blog/berkey/BERKEY-WATER-FILTERS-SUES-THE-EPA
-- Amos Miller is an honest amish farmer. They have been harassed by the federal and state government and has to put a pause on their business for now. My husband buys cheese from them, but he has to look for a different resource for now.

I wish the right to food was written in the constitution.
I'm familiar with both those cases, and I agree with you.

But even if the right to food was in the Constitution, those in bureaucracy would still ignore it as they ignore other aspects of the law.

.trashed-1710280041-th.jpeg

:he

Back
Top Bottom