fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Fuzzi, we want to put hardware cloth for our chicken run (it is currently chicken wire). I think you use 1/2'', right?

I remember somewhere people were talking about 1/2'' hardware cloth is better than 1/4'' (or the other way around?).

@Wyorp Rock @NanaK Any thought is appreciated.
The 1/4" isn't as strong as the 1/2".

Buuuut...the stuff I bought locally was crap, snapped when I tried to bend it.

This is what I recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/48inx50ft-Hardware-Galvanized-Welding-Chicken/dp/B08PQ11RG3

The brand is Seboss.

I remember somewhere people were talking about 1/2'' hardware cloth is better than 1/4'' (or the other way around?).

The 1/4" isn't as strong as the 1/2".

Buuuut...the stuff I bought locally was crap, snapped when I tried to bend it.

Yes the 1/2" is stronger than the 1/4".

When buying wire of any type or wire fencing always look at the wire "gauge". This tells you the diameter of the wire. The smaller the number the larger each wire in the fencing is. 19 gauge is thicker, stronger wire than 23 gauge.

I have seen hardware cloth locally in 19 and 23 gauge. I always get the 19.

When ordering online look for the shipping weight of the rolls if they do not give the gauge. The thicker wire (19 gauge) will be heavier than the 23 gauge for same size rolls.

This influences cost as well.

Yes the 1/2" is stronger than the 1/4".

When buying wire of any type or wire fencing always look at the wire "gauge". This tells you the diameter of the wire. The smaller the number the larger each wire in the fencing is. 19 gauge is thicker, stronger wire than 23 gauge.

I have seen hardware cloth locally in 19 and 23 gauge. I always get the 19.

When ordering online look for the shipping weight of the rolls if they do not give the gauge. The thicker wire (19 gauge) will be heavier than the 23 gauge for same size rolls.

This influences cost as well.
Thanks for such thorough answers!

At 8am today I heard noise and thought my chickens were fighting each other. It turns out that a fox was circling around our chicken run!!! Chickens and me were all freaked out.

Thanks for such thorough answers!

At 8am today I heard noise and thought my chickens were fighting each other. It turns out that a fox was circling around our chicken run!!! Chickens and me were all freaked out.
You're welcome!

Fox are sneaky and don't give up easily. We see gray fox here often. You might want to periodically walk around your run and look for digging or scratching to see if it makes any attempts. I try to do this often.

I read on the NC Wildlife site that gray fox could climb also trees!

Hope that guy doesn't come back.

You're welcome!

Fox are sneaky and don't give up easily. We see gray fox here often. You might want to periodically walk around your run and look for digging or scratching to see if it makes any attempts. I try to do this often.

I read on the NC Wildlife site that gray fox could climb also trees!

Hope that guy doesn't come back.
Mine was a red fox. Very pretty and cute.

Back
Top Bottom