Gander lost his mate and is now sitting on the eggs...

lorney

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
I'm new to poultry and planned to keep hens but about three months ago a work mate had to move house and didn't have anywhere for her (single) goose to live so we offered her a home. Because she was lonely we bought another goose to keep her company - which turned out to be a young gander. They quickly became attached and about 8 weeks ago came to live with us.Sadly my goose was killed by foxes about three weeks ago when she was out of her run. She may have wandered off feeling broody, I think. The gander was inconsolable at first and I decided that I'd get him another friend. However, there were a number of eggs left by the goose that he's been sitting on religiously. He will come out of the run and into his big pool, and graze for twenty minutes or so but then goes straight back in. His commitment to fatherhood is incredibly touching,

To be honest I don't expect them to hatch, but he won't let me anywhere near them. I figured that the best thing to do would be to leave them for the incubation period then find him a new mate but I'm a bit out of my depth here - if any did hatch, what should I do? And if they don't how should I remove them? Will he keep sitting on them for ever if I don't take them away?
idunno.gif

I suspect that a lot of ganders would sit on the nest, except the goose won't let them have a turn.

If he can get the eggs to hatch, he will be a perfect father and raise the goslings well. Both geese and ganders are devoted parents.

Oh poor guy! I have a gander that lost his mate to a goat, so I let him have all my baby geese. It gave him a new purpose, since he lost his when his mate died.
Please let him keep the babies if they hatch.

That's awesome seeing these male birds taking nesting duties. I'd let the gander to continue to sit on the eggs. If some do manage to hatch, he can raise them himself.

Well, he's still sitting - we're coming up to day 21 now from the point he started incubating them. Bless him - he's being so thorough. I'm going to have to read up on goslings in case they do hatch! There seem to be four eggs - I thought that there were five but I don't see the fifth now. I've not been able to clean out the goosehouse properly since he started - any suggestions about what I could do to cause him as little upset as possible, but make sure it's clean enough for babies if any hatch? I'm having to think about nursery mode now - I didn't intend to have babies but if it happens I'll be delighted
jumpy.gif
But I am a complete novice! And terrified!

Well, he's still sitting - we're coming up to day 21 now from the point he started incubating them. Bless him - he's being so thorough. I'm going to have to read up on goslings in case they do hatch! There seem to be four eggs - I thought that there were five but I don't see the fifth now. I've not been able to clean out the goosehouse properly since he started - any suggestions about what I could do to cause him as little upset as possible, but make sure it's clean enough for babies if any hatch? I'm having to think about nursery mode now - I didn't intend to have babies but if it happens I'll be delighted
jumpy.gif
But I am a complete novice! And terrified!
Really other than providing food there probably isn't much you'll have to do, he'll take care of it all. Just make sure they have a very secure run and house, because the fox is waiting for another meal. probably has young to feed too. You say he's young how young? the reason I'm asking is like you said the egg may not be fertile and maybe you should put your energy into finding him another mate or goslings before hatch day so he doesn't go down hill when you have to take them. I have 1 gander among Muscovy ducks and he has been papa goose to all the ducklings that have hatched this year. More attentive than even the mother ducks. I would feel very confident he can do a great job with the goslings if any hatch.
fl.gif
AND
welcome-byc.gif

I also have a rooster that performs father duties. Actually two.. My silkie rooster will keep babies warm at night, feed them and warn them of danger.
_MG_0832.jpg
Here is my silkie rooster on daddy duty. He loves these chicks - and I can't let him out of the broody enclosure because he gets bullied by my barred rock rooster. Here is my barred rock roo feeding one of his babies (not biologically his, but he doesn't know any better ;) )
_MG_1503.jpg
_MG_1507.jpg
_MG_1510.jpg
So if roosters can do it, why wouldn't ganders be able to? I'd let him keep them until they are older at least. Let him raise them to independence.

Back
Top Bottom