Geese as watchdogs?

trainman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Huntsville, AR
I generally raise a flock of about 40-50 chickens but lately the varmints (fox, raccoons & neighbor's dogs) have decimated a couple flocks. I was told if I get a few geese they would keep the varmints away or actually chase them. I don't know if that's true or not as I have no experience with them. I'm not adverse to adding geese to the farm. Any advice?

Don't expect geese to protect your flock. The predators are not stupid. They will approach, and pick off the easiest chicken they can get to.
My suggestion,,,, make sure your chickens are secured in a coop for the night. That will take care of the night time predators.
For daytime, I would secure their outdoor area with electric fencing. I realize that we are not able to predator proof everything 100%, but this would keep most of them away from your chickens. I also suggest that you bait the electric fence when you first install it. This gives a GREAT LEARNING LESSON to predators.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Our one Goose seems to be out of the woods, but he is still not feeling well. Can he be mourning for his friend that died? He eats and poops, a lot! but not diarrhea I am still a little worried.
We cant know for sure if animals mourn losses same way humans do. :idunno If they could speak,,, they would tell us.
Considering there were severe injuries, I think your goose is recovering well, but not at 100% normal yet.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom