Geese or Guinea?

familyfarm1

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Northern Virginia
What are better for eradicating ticks and other bugs? My friend is looking into it and she wants something low maintenance. She has a lot of wooded land and some fencing as well as sheds. There is a three year old boy as well.

What are better for eradicating ticks and other bugs? My friend is looking into it and she wants something low maintenance. She has a lot of wooded land and some fencing as well as sheds. There is a three year old boy as well.
I am not sure geese will eat ticks, but Guineas sure will, I have 4 geese and I can't remember seeing any of them eat bugs of any kind. But they love certain weeds and grasses.

Guineas; however keep in mind both guineas and geese are also superb watch "dog" early alarm systems (loud). Guineas are fun, inexpensive (to feed and buy) and comical as they follow each other along bobbing their heads. Guineas need a coop to be locked in over night as like chickens they will roost in trees and while sleeping owls simply sit next to them and "pop" no more guinea; however it can be very simple as they are more "all weather" then most chickens. They also have to be trained to the coop or they will go find a flock to join.

Guineas; however keep in mind both guineas and geese are also superb watch "dog" early alarm systems (loud). Guineas are fun, inexpensive (to feed and buy) and comical as they follow each other along bobbing their heads. Guineas need a coop to be locked in over night as like chickens they will roost in trees and while sleeping owls simply sit next to them and "pop" no more guinea; however it can be very simple as they are more "all weather" then most chickens. They also have to be trained to the coop or they will go find a flock to join.

I always heard best way to train a Guinea to go to roost inside is to let a chicken hatch them and let mama hen teach her kids to roost where it's safe. .

I like that idea - but can you see the look on the face of hen as they mature "what in the heck!" I use feeding them millet (crack for guineas) at night to teach them.

Last edited:
I like that idea - but can you see the look on the face of hen as they mature "what in the heck!" I use feeding them millet (crack for guineas) at night to teach them.
That would be something to behold, I wonder if mama just sees them as her chicks not something strange from outer space. lol

Interesting I didn't know Guineas loved millet.

Back
Top Bottom