Gender guesses for 6 week old ducklings

bugheadmomma

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
I have four 6 week old ducklings. 2 Pekin, 2 Rouen. I’m wondering if anyone has any idea on gender. One of the Pekins has one curled up feather, but neither of the quake. The one with the curl makes an odd “swoop” sound and the other is silent and a bit smaller. As for the Rouens one has a very loud honk sound that you can hear whenever it happens and a dark bill, the other has an olive colored bill and and a raspy version of the honk. We don’t have a vet in over 100 miles willing to see ducks, so I’m having to guess.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.jpeg
    IMG_5793.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5788.jpeg
    IMG_5788.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5695.jpeg
    IMG_5695.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5694.jpeg
    IMG_5694.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 32
For the one rouen that quacks with a loud honk, she’s definitely a female, the beak is also an indicator. The other rouen seems to definitely be a male, again the green beak is a sign and the raspy quack. I’m unsure about the pekins, sometimes what I’ll do is pick them up and see what they’re quack sounds like, lol. Females have a loud honk and males sound raspy.

For the one rouen that quacks with a loud honk, she’s definitely a female, the beak is also an indicator. The other rouen seems to definitely be a male, again the green beak is a sign and the raspy quack. I’m unsure about the pekins, sometimes what I’ll do is pick them up and see what they’re quack sounds like, lol. Females have a loud honk and males sound raspy.
What about when they don’t make noise? My Pekins don’t honk or try to honk. They kind of squeak like they’ve done since they were tiny. No loud noises at all! It’s confusing…. They wheeze a bit out of their nose sometimes, but they never ever open their mouths and make more peep.

I have four 6 week old ducklings. 2 Pekin, 2 Rouen. I’m wondering if anyone has any idea on gender. One of the Pekins has one curled up feather, but neither of the quake. The one with the curl makes an odd “swoop” sound and the other is silent and a bit smaller. As for the Rouens one has a very loud honk sound that you can hear whenever it happens and a dark bill, the other has an olive colored bill and and a raspy version of the honk. We don’t have a vet in over 100 miles willing to see ducks, so I’m having to guess.
The curled feather on the Peking duck i means he’s a drake and the other a hen
I don’t know about the Rouens

Back
Top Bottom