clarkson

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Hey, the nursery I work in has got eggs in an incubator for them to hatch,
You are allowed to adopted them
Me and my parter are thing of adopting 2 girls

We have been told if they are yellow when born they are male and brown is female
Does anyone know if this is true as we only want girls

That would be the case if they are first generation sexlinks.

If the mother was a red hen, such as a RIR, and if the fater was a white rooster, such as a Delaware, the chicks will be red sexlinks. Female chicks will be red and male chicks will be white.

However, if they are from second generation sexlinks they will not breed true. If the father AND mother were both sexlinks, the offspring will not be sexable at hatch.

Thank you :)
That is what the person has told us so I'll ask him next Friday about the mother and father thanks

:frow Welcome to the forum! :celebrate Glad you joined us! :frow

That’s impossible to answer unless you know the genetics of the parents. Do you know which breed the father is and which breed the mother is? It makes a difference which one is the father and which is the mother.

If they happen to be red sex links, that would be true. But without knowing what breeds and colors the parents are, I can’t tell if they are red sex links or not.

Greetings from Kansas, clarkson, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Chicken genetics makes my head spin so I will defer to the experts. Good luck to you and I hope you end up with hens!

That would be the case if they are first generation sexlinks.

If the mother was a red hen, such as a RIR, and if the fater was a white rooster, such as a Delaware, the chicks will be red sexlinks. Female chicks will be red and male chicks will be white.

However, if they are from second generation sexlinks they will not breed true. If the father AND mother were both sexlinks, the offspring will not be sexable at hatch.

I’m sorry. You got that backwards. The rooster has to be the one with the gold genes and the hen the one with the silver. Not all red roosters and white hens will make red sex links. That’s why breed is important.

Back
Top Bottom