Genetics or Illness

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I have some birds (2 breeds from very different breeders hatched 6 months apart) that as chicks seemd to be fine. As they developed I noticed they seemd to have a labored gate and would occasionally fall back on their "knees". They don't stand erect like their siblings and now have a great deal of difficulty walking or even standing. They almost look drunk as they are very unstable while standing and stagger and wobble while walking occasionally plopping down to keep from falling. They have a good appitite and are nearly as big as the rest of their siblings. No other signs or symptoms, no sneezing, nothing....

Any clues?????

you can log on to your states extension office or any really.. and they list common poultry problems.. i recall reading some kind of article before in one of my mags.. perhaps a mineral lacking???also call and ask a local vet...if i can find the article i will post for you....

i also had some chicks and ducks do weird feet and gate things before that was due to acidity or moisture, or something they walked on ..especially exposure to cedar and some straws..it was weird that it didnt effect them all???? i think more common problem in ducks though...

Back
Top Bottom