Genetics

LeveyChicks

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2018
So we had a rooster who was half lavender Orpington & half Cinnamon Queen. I have a hen sitting on 7 eggs he fertilized, the breeds are ISA, Leghorn, and half black orpington (also had a lavender dad). I’m curious what others think could be our outcome. I find genetics in chickens fascinating lol we love our mutts!

That would be pretty tough to do.
Your rooster was a cross between a known breed and a hybrid.
Your isa is another hybrid. You didn't mention what variety of leghorn and you have a mixed breed hen that you didn't mention what half of the mix was.
That's way to many mixed birds with unknown genes to know what outcomes you may get.

Yea, I figured as much just thought I’d throw it out and see what people thought. The sitting hen is half buff orpington and Lavender orpington our of a different rooster than the rooster who is the dad of this clutch. I’m really interested to see if the recessive lavender shows up at all.
for the ISA I’m leaning towards them hatching our red, with the ISA and Cinnamon Queens both having RIR genetics. I just find genetics fascinating!

So your rooster looks black? I predict that about half your chicks will be one of the following:
--black
--lavender (black chicken diluted by the lavender gene)
--white with a few bits of black (black chicken diluted by the dominant white gene, which is common in Leghorns and is also present in ISA browns and any other chicken that is brown with white markings)

I assume the mother of your rooster was Cinnamon Queen, and the father was Lavender Orpington? Or was it the other way around? (This affects what sexlinked genes your rooster has, and thus what he can pass on to his chicks.)

You could always put your different hen colours into this along with your rooster and see what you get: http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
YES! I LOVE THAT TOOL! You beat me to it :) it may not be exact if you don't know the exact genes of your chickens, but u can estimate using their coloring and put other extra traits such as Easter Egger or Bearded or hen-feathred in the calculator too!

Lavender is recessive, so it'll need 2 copies to show.

So if you have one lavender bird, & breed it to black you'll get 50% split lavenders, & 50% non split lavenders.

You take the splits, & breed them together, you'll get more lavenders.

I imagine that most of the chicks would be black with some leakage. You might luck out and get a Lavender with leakage. If I read that correctly two of the potential parents are split to Lavender (visually black but carrying a Lavender gene). I'm not sure what happens when Dominant White and Dominant Black are on the same bird. My whites are recessive so I don't usually outcross them to other colors.

So if you have one lavender bird, & breed it to black you'll get 50% split lavenders, & 50% non split lavenders.
No.
If you breed a lavender bird to a black bird you'll get 100% black split to lavender chicks.
To be lavender it does need two copies of the lavender gene. If a bird with two copies is bred it has no choice but to pass on a lavender gene to all offspring.

Back
Top Bottom