Getting 2-3 silkie hens. Need approval first.

Caden Clinton

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2019
Houston, Texas
Hello, I’m pretty new to BYC. I’m going to be getting either 2-3 silkie pullets this coming summer. Our state ordinances allows chickens but no roosters. Good. I go to our neighborhood deed restrictions. No good. It does NOT allow poultry. This is annoying. So, I’m either going to GO GET PERMISSION FROM MY SURROUNDING NEIGHBORS, or I WILL GET PERMISSION FROM THE HOA BOARD asking for an exception. I’ve talked to silkie owners who say that their chickens aren’t too loud. Which one of the two options is best? Thanks.

Getting permission from you neighbors won't give you any rights to own chickens.
Going to the HOA and asking for an exemption has about 0% chance of doing any good either.
If you want to have rights you don't move into a place that decides your rights for you.

Last edited:
It seem's that all of the HOA's are like that. You couldn't pay me enough to move into one of those places.
Me neither. I won't even live inside city limits anymore let alone and HOA.
Thing is people move in thinking how great it is that the HOA will keep their neighbors in check and keep their property values high without ever thinking it may effect their lives and what they want.
Then of course when it does they think its unfair and usually do whatever they want because they think its unfair to them or that the rules should apply to everyone except themselves.
The world's a selfish place. So many people want to say what everyone else can or can't do will believing they should be able to do anything they please.

Just ask permission from the neighbors, if you ask permission at all.

Personally I find it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission when it comes to stupid laws that impede a person's God-given right to self-sustaining agriculture, but that's just me. :p

In any case, I have three silkies and they're very quiet. I live dead-smack in the middle of a neighborhood behind a six-foot privacy fence and none of my neighbors would even know about them unless I'd told them.

Just ask permission from the neighbors, if you ask permission at all.

Personally I find it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission when it comes to stupid laws that impede a person's God-given right to self-sustaining agriculture, but that's just me. :p

In any case, I have three silkies and they're very quiet. I live dead-smack in the middle of a neighborhood behind a six-foot privacy fence and none of my neighbors would even know about them unless I'd told them.
Do you live in a neighborhood with an hoa?

If it were me, I suppose I'd talk to my neighbors first, get their permission, and then hope that the neighbors' approval helps sway the HOA in your favor. Perhaps you could find some real-life examples where people in urban or suburban neighborhoods have successfully kept backyard chickens. Perhaps you could provide evidence that a few hens would not be foul, smelly, noisy, or messy, and that the coop would not be too close to the neighbors or an eyesore. I would try to have an answer for any possible objections/concerns they might have.

Then, if they say no, you can just move (LOL).

I would be too nervous myself to try to secretly bring in chickens. It would be very upsetting for me to go to the trouble and expensive of getting a coop and hens, getting attached to them, and then having to get rid of them if the neighbors found out. That's just me, though.

Last edited:
The exact kind of attitude I was referring to.
There was no "stupid laws that impede a person's God-given right to self-sustaining agriculture"
Its was a contract that the person willing agreed to and signed.
Willingly signing a contract that limits your rights is a far cry from someone taking away someone else's rights.

Back
Top Bottom