Getting old is kinda sad

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
This is my Ameraucana rooster that I call the Old Guy. He came as the single rooster in an order of six straight-run Ameraucanas in the the spring of 2009. This photo was taken in 2010 when he was a year old. In the 10 years I've had him he's outlived his hens and a couple other roosters. Survived a couple of coop raccoon raids, two weasel attacks and one mink one as well as outside hawks and foxes that got other birds. He has been a good guardian of the flock and sent his hens to cover when he sensed danger. One warning cluck and they disappeared.

018dd723313a62e1820a733b2359cedd9cf6902bdb.jpg
Two years ago I again bought six straight-run Ameraucanas, this time got 4 pullets. The two roosters that came with that group have always deferred to Old Guy Until today. Today I found him in the front lawn all by himself while the rest of the flock was down behind the house, I tried to chase him back with the rest but he didn't want to go and as soon as I left he went back out front. Tonight he hung around the pop door but didn't want to go into the coop. I finally caught him and put him in the room where I store feed so he'll be by himself. He has no injuries, no feathers ripped out and I have seen no sign of any confrontation--they were all together last night. He's tended to keep more to himself this spring and hasn't had that swagger. He used to hang with a silver laced wyandotte hen but she seems to have deserted him too. I just think he's suddenly realized he can't be in charge any more and is isolating himself. The two brothers seem to have taken over. Note in the picture I took today how his color has changed, he's almost black.

01f9ae9a155165214c2dba602e6da364f8b5ef410f_00001.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I have six, 9-week old pullets that I'm going to integrate into the flock this week, I may put him in with them for a while. Maybe he'll adopt them and keep the brothers away. He's going to be in trouble if he won't coop at night and I can't keep track of him.

Kinda sad to see though.

Ha! When I saw your title I thought 'it sure is!'....
...in regards to my own stiff and sore body this morning.
But I'm still boss(looks at dog..right?!)

Great story, well told @woodmort .
Wonder why his plumage changed...and when?
Within the first few years...or the last few?
Interesting idea to give him the new girls...will they have their own pad or...??

Oh me, I concur with what @aart said. My old body just ain’t what it used to be, but I still manage...in time, though. :)

After I understood what you were referring to being old, I got even sadder. Poor Old Guy realizes his time is up and probably realized it without any confrontation.
(I wish some of these old actors would realize their time has passed and stop showing up on the news and in magazines in swim trunks and concede to the younger hotties. Dear lawd, what a sickening sight.)

I digress. And to think, I’m just trying for a decent cockerel to make it to a year old. I really feel for you @woodmort. I agree, he needs his own little harem of young girls. I mean, isn’t that every old man’s dream? :drool :lau:gig

Great story, well told @woodmort .
Wonder why his plumage changed...and when?
Within the first few years...or the last few?
Interesting idea to give him the new girls...will they have their own pad or...??
I really don't know but it seemed to happen over the winter into the spring--or at least when I noticed it. I suspect it may be hormonal. He used to have bright yellow hackles and a maroon saddle.
BTW, he's in with the pullets but all he was interested in was getting to the feeder. Otherwise both groups tend to stay by themselves.

I really don't know but it seemed to happen over the winter into the spring--or at least when I noticed it. I suspect it may be hormonal. He used to have bright yellow hackles and a maroon saddle.
So after the last falls molt....I don't think plumage color can change in fully grown feathers, can it?

I like that you put him with your pullets, I'm sure that he'll be much kinder to your young ladies than your two young, super-testosterone-charged roosters. I see this as an act of kindness to the Old Guy and to your young ladies.
Agrees....could spark his fire once they need to be protected from the other males?

Back
Top Bottom