Getting started.

Well for the time being it’s what we have. I was hoping to find something bigger/better on Facebook market place but didn’t have much luck. Atleast this will give me time to come up with some more plans

Just an update for anyone wondering.

I got our coop together. I sealed the wood and put it on pressure treated boards just to keep it up off the ground.

I also was able to fit some non-toxic insulation board in the roof panels, as well as the roof/floor of the nesting box. I also did not plug any ventalation holes.

One question that did come up I want to run an automated water system with either water nipples or I have seen little bowls that stay full from a reservoir. In total we have 7 birds how much water would be reasonable In the reservoir? I’d like to say more is better but at the same time I myself would not want to drink water that’s been in the sun all summer. Maybe they don’t care but it doesn’t sound good to me? My dad has a 55 gallon barrel I can have but I’m wondering if 2 5 gallon buckets plumbed together would be more reasonable??

Looking at the coop it is built in a way that it wouldn’t be super hard to expand with just a few materials. So I’m going to ponder on that for a while and watch Facebook market place for similar items/materials

One question that did come up I want to run an automated water system with either water nipples or I have seen little bowls that stay full from a reservoir. In total we have 7 birds how much water would be reasonable In the reservoir? I’d like to say more is better but at the same time I myself would not want to drink water that’s been in the sun all summer. Maybe they don’t care but it doesn’t sound good to me? My dad has a 55 gallon barrel I can have but I’m wondering if 2 5 gallon buckets plumbed together would be more reasonable??
I'd not put it in the sun....and think about winter.
I use horizontal nipples all year around, with a heater added in winter to keep the water from freezing.
3 gal jug is topped off every day.
My 13 birds now drink about 1/2 to 3/4gal a day.
But then I have room in coop for waterer and protected power.

Yeah, no way that will hold 8-10 birds, even bantams.
Prefab sellers are notorious for over estimating the number of birds.
In your climate you're going to want a large coop(6sqft per bird) and/or a large weather proofed run.
Might seem fine in the balmy days of summer, but with freezing temps, feet of snow on the ground, and days long blizzards it would be nightmare.
I tried to use the 4sqft per bird my first winter, it was not pretty.
Chicken Cabin Fever is real.
Prefabs look so nice but they really do suck. Someone in the town I live by makes small chicken houses and I feel bad for any birds that get stuck in those. I currently have 3.5ft per bird (11 birds) and they did great this past winter. However I snow blow paths to my porch and my wood pile for them so they have covered places to hang out during the day if they want out of the coop. I am designing a new coop to build this summer though. One that can hold more birds with a better layout and more space. Plus an area for babies so they can safely go out into the chicken house earlier.

Anyways build your own chicken houses are way better and cheaper than prebuilt ones. Since OP has a prebuilt one they can always make adjustments and additions to it to make it better for their chicken babies.

Back
Top Bottom