Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

The little one is just too small...7 eggs is not enough. I want to be able to hatch at least 12 at a time.

As for what to do with all of those babies...well...most of mine are going in the pot, lol. I can overwinter a max of ten birds. For now anyways....wonder if hubby would mind building me a bigger chicken coop before he builds his garage???
If the garage gets built, there is always the dining room, right?
lol.png

I will never again raise chicks in the house! All broody hens will have a job on our homestead.

I firmly believe coturnix plot suicide. Our first adventure saw them drown so we had to cut plastic mesh and place it in the brooder water bottles.

Today we found 5 dead quail in 3 condos that had jammed themselves around the corner in 2" pipe feeders. Sheesh.

Pipe feeders out, chick feeders in
Sounds like something frightened them into hiding in the corner. Howabout putting a length of four inch pipe so they can get in and huddle till what ever it is goes away. I used to do that for my guinea pigs when I grazed them out in the yard. Scattered about two foot chunks of PVC four inches in diameter. When they got scared they would skitter and dissappear.... LOL... sometimes youd find six or seven of them jammed into one pipe Butts sticking out each end.

deb

Thanks for the responses on quail and ashes!

Another question...is the Brinsea incubator any good? I used our neighbors styrofoam hovabator last year and want to buy one of our own this year. The Brinsea mini is too small (only does 7 eggs) so I was thinking of going with the larger Octagon one...you can do up to 24 eggs at a time. That's perfect for us. We only have a small operation out there, lol.
I love my Brinsea. Unless you are building your own. Its very true that you get what you pay for with incubators. I have the little bitty one and the the two dozen one. LOVE THEM. Idiot proof

Sounds like something frightened them into hiding in the corner. Howabout putting a length of four inch pipe so they can get in and huddle till what ever it is goes away. I used to do that for my guinea pigs when I grazed them out in the yard. Scattered about two foot chunks of PVC four inches in diameter. When they got scared they would skitter and dissappear.... LOL... sometimes youd find six or seven of them jammed into one pipe Butts sticking out each end.

deb
There was nothing to scare them. The feed in the upright got too low - they made the bend, got jammed and suffocated. A design fault.

Its a quiet Sunday at Cocobeach.

Dado, our construction guy, lives a good 3 hours away and choses to go home every second weekend. He opts to work when he is still on the farm and those are the days when things like the stair case with a landing appear in the goat house. His team mate takes the day off.

Bernie or Aljay will take the day off - the other one had taken the Saturday off. Analou does not work when we are not there - which is most weekends.

The gardens will get worked on. Seeds planted or seedlings transferred.

All the animals will be fed and watered and eggs will be collected.

Mrs Oz is on her way to Bali. She was supposed to get the dawn plane to Manila but it was cancelled. She pulled out all stops and got on a alternative carriers 830 plane so she could make it on time for check in. As she is travelling on a frequent flier ticket from my old Continental/United days of world travel, the Manila - Denpasar flight is actually Manila - Bangkok with an overnight in BKK - Denpasar Bali.

She is excited to be able to stop in Thailand and visit a friend she worked with at St Johns Medical Center in Santa Monica that repatriated to Thailand.

I have a long history with Bali and took Mrs Oz there 5 years ago - at the start of this adventure. She is staying for part of the trip with my Balinese family - they adopted me on my first trip when the patriarch met me and decided we were brothers in a former life. From that day forward, I am treated like a son and brother by these amazing people. They are by happenstance the royal family of an area of Bali so hanging out with them opens the doors to the most amazing cultural experience one can imagine.

Mrs Oz is on a shopping mission. She will buy several oil paintings and I have a rather unusual thing I want her to bring back to our beach

Bale3.jpg

I want a terrcotta version if the peak of this roof. It will be placed on the top of a Balinese inspired Bale (gazebo) close to the beach in our front yard.

bali_gazebo__B.jpg

Ours will be a little larger - maybe 16x16 with some ourdor furniture and a bar.

Last edited:
There's a very long cultural history between Indonesia and the Netherlands. You find a lot of Indonesian influence in Dutch cooking. Most Dutch dishes are meat and potatoes, so to find something like Nasi Goreng is very sudden, and yet, Dutch folks think nothing about it and they call it Dutch food.
lol.png
Dutch love pouring peanut sauce over their cauliflower and potatoes. French fries with mayo and peanut sauce or totally a 'thing' too.

No Dutch kitchen is complete without ketjap manis, sambal oelek and krupuk. To me that's really funny, because they're SO unexpected.

I would love to go to Bali and enjoy the food and culture. I love the dancers and the costumes and those gorgeous buildings. And let's face it, the scenery is fantastic! I used to be quite the traveler in my 'younger' years, but everything changes once you commit yourself to the American dream. Sometimes I miss the days where all I owned fit in two suitcases.

There's a very long cultural history between Indonesia and the Netherlands. You find a lot of Indonesian influence in Dutch cooking. Most Dutch dishes are meat and potatoes, so to find something like Nasi Goreng is very sudden, and yet, Dutch folks think nothing about it and they call it Dutch food.
lol.png
Dutch love pouring peanut sauce over their cauliflower and potatoes. French fries with mayo and peanut sauce or totally a 'thing' too.

No Dutch kitchen is complete without ketjap manis, sambal oelek and krupuk. To me that's really funny, because they're SO unexpected.

I would love to go to Bali and enjoy the food and culture. I love the dancers and the costumes and those gorgeous buildings. And let's face it, the scenery is fantastic! I used to be quite the traveler in my 'younger' years, but everything changes once you commit yourself to the American dream. Sometimes I miss the days where all I owned fit in two suitcases.
And a Rijsttafel is a great feed!

Bumbo Bali - a great resto in Nusa Dua Bali has Balinese cooking classes

images

Indonesian food is truly my fave

Back
Top Bottom