Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
This project is designed to create giant fluffy chickens.

Who doesn't love Silkies, & wish they had some the size of Brahmas?

I have both Silkies, & Brahmas, color patterns isn't a concern until Silkie feathering, 5 toes, & black skin are produced.

I'll only be using my largest Silkie cockerels/roosters to breed with my Brahmas.

Pictures of my large Silkie cockerels.

First Boy is next to a Bantam Silkie cockerel for size comparison.
1029191344.jpg
1029191344a.jpg
Second Boy next to a 5 gallon Bucket.
0530191453.jpg
0530191453a.jpg
Here's a picture of my Brahmas.
0604191527.jpg

Breeding order.

Pair #1. Silkie X Brahma

Pair #2. Silkie X Brahma

OffSpring from Both pairs #1, & #2 bred together.
Silkie/Brahma X Silkie Brahma

OffSpring from the first offspring is then bred back to grandparents.

I'll be using line breeding, & adding new blood if necessary.

Go for it! You can do anything you set your mind to, especially if it has something to do with chickens!
Thank you. At least with this project I have everything I need for it bird wise. The last one I ended since I'm lacking particular breeds.

Those traits will be easy to verify they are being carried forward. Owing to number of traits, you will still have trouble ensuring at least a few birds carry most of those traits. The more traits you are carrying torwards the larger size with linebreeding back to your bigger birds, the faster you will have to employ something other than simply line breeding. You are quickly going to get into situation where you will have to hatch a lot of chicks and cull most of those. The effort will take several years / generations.

Jersey Giants might be a quicker way to get size you want. The hybrids should be average between parents that might get desired size lesser than Jersey Giants in one generation.
Jersey Giant is a good suggestion, but I no longer have any.

I understand this may take years to complete, which fine by me. I love my birds so much, I'm willing to work with them for years.
Culls aren't a big problem for me since it puts food on the table. I cull around 6-7 months of age, sometimes not until a year. I like to monitor growth, behavior, & features that appear as they age, only those I desire will pass on their genes.

What's the next step once the Big Chick is grown? Cross him back to a Silkie?
And he is adorable, by the way.
Yep, gonna have to back cross him to a large silkie hen.
Gonna use Poof, since she's a big girl.
1006191443ar.jpg
1012191432.jpg

Keep the Broodiness. A Silkie wouldn't be a Silkie without that trait.
So you’re trying to maintain the bandstand silkie qualities as much as possible but increase the size? Have you seen the broiler silkies? I’m trying to remember what thread was discussing those... They had silkied feathers but the feathers looked shorter, and the body size was bigger... Found a link!
https://thechickhatchery.com/home/white-silkie-broiler/

Back
Top Bottom