girls or boys? pekin ducks.

johari

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Here are my Pekin ducks. Are they male or female? They're about two months old.

I can't tell from this picture, but males will have like a little curl at the end of their tail. See the picture I provided...

The female will have no curl.

None of them have a curl, and all of then have a pretty loud quack. I'm going they are all female. But maybe they're too young to really tell.

Loud usually means female! Just watch for the curl, best way to tell with Pekin's for a beginner like myself anyway. I have 4 Pekin, 5 Calls, 6 Muscovy, 3 Blue Swed, 1 runner, and 2 that are crosses of something. We just started incubating and hatching eggs too so currently I have 7 ducklings under a week old. I only know what one is for sure and that was a Call duck that hatched last night! Love the ducks!

Pekins are one of the loudest breeds at least in my opinion. Girls will have a definite loud quack while the boys kinda sound like they have a sore throat. The curl is a great way to sex them too.

We have 3 pekins, and I read every different opinion on how to sex them. They were just young ducklings when we bought at our farm store, so it took a while. The best, and first, clue that proved to be 100% correct, was their quack, which was apparent long before the tail curl. Females have a definite, loud quack, and the males have more of a "chatter" sound. It does sound like you might have females. You'll know for sure when they start laying....lol!

Back
Top Bottom