Giving Them Meds

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
How do you hold a chicken and open it's mouth to administer the liquid? I thought I'd ask before I attempt it cause I don't want to do it wrong and scare them, then they won't want to come near me. Any advice? And thank you to all who helped me with my last post!

Oh sorry, It's for worms, and it's the valbazen with a dropper. I need to squirt this stuff down their throat twice, because I only have a dropper with a measurement of 1 mL and they need it twice.

I'm thinking - hold chicken down on lap and pry open beak and with significant other holding medicine, and S.O. squeezes liquid down while I hold chicken. Sound good?

I know they'd probably squawk, I'm expecting it. But I don't want to freak them out.

I hold mine under one are tightly and use that same hand to grab their beak and open it, then I administer the meds. It works pretty well, especially since their wings are pinned and cant use their legs. If you can get someone to help you, that works also.

use a towel to restrain...it is quick and effective and stresses the bird out less (remeber of course to not have so tight that it restricts breathing)

Towel worked great! Thank you.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom