Glassing Eggs (first timer)

Recently started glassing my eggs. Yesterday I noticed an egg apparently got cracked and leaked out. From what I have read so far the batch is ruined. Can I still safely eat the other eggs if they are only a few days old?

Another jar has what looks like maybe mold is on too of the water. I assume that means that batch is ruined too. Can any long term glassers advise on both these issues?

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 0
@Jstaz- No. Not ruined, but a definite hassle.

1st- A leaking egg is the worst case scenario, but it doesn't kill the batch. The very alkaline water is designed to stop bacterial growth. So, what you have is a mess, not bad eggs. I would carefully remove the eggs and either move them to a new container with fresh lime water. The bad egg should be tossed. Any eggs with egg deposits on them should be cleaned and put into cartons for quick consumption as their bloom will now be ruined. If you don't have a second container then clean the first one and move the good eggs back into it.

2nd- Was it really mold on the water? That might be possible if any egg contents were floating on the surface. It is perfectly normal to have a thin "crust" of lime at the top. If it was just lime, then it is a non-problem.

FYI- A leaking egg is the worst kind of failure when glassing eggs. It is a hassle. Far more common is a small crack that allows lime water to seep into the egg and ruin it. If you find any with cracks then just toss them as soon as you see them. I always lose about 10% of my preserved eggs, almost always to those minor cracks. One way to protect yourself is to be careful when using glassed eggs. Always open them into a cup and move to their final destination, one at a time. That way you won't ruin your scrambled eggs if the 3rd one turned out to be bad.

An ounce is always an ounce, volume varies based on what you are weighing (like that old riddle about which weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?). They both weigh a ton but that is a lot of feathers!

Back
Top Bottom