Glow Up - 2 LF “Assorted” Cochins

cheide

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
We picked up a couple more chicks since all my Australorps turned out to be male 🫠
sticking to the pullet bins this time.. I couldn’t resist these adorable giant Cochins! (and I thought I was obsessed with orps…)

Hatched 4/13 - I have no clue what color they’ll be and I’m excited to find out so I wanted to track their pics here in a thread.

I’m still very new to chickens. I’ve grown up two other rounds of chicks in our laundry room. Looking back, they weren’t little puff balls long enough and then for too long they were loud, smelly, messy, awkward weirdos I was eager to kick out of the house.

This time I want to cherish the early time while we’re finding out what they’ll be like in this world 🐥🐓🌎

One is pretty solid brownish/grey/red - maybe Partridge? (again I have no idea what I’m talking about) she is less busy and often just standing tall and looking stoic 😍

The other is mostly black with some lighter face/tum/stripes - maybe black Cochin? or Barred or Laced (omg wouldn’t that be cool) this chick is always on the move, curious and ready to stir up trouble 😈

Do y’all have any favorite glow ups in your flock?

Attachments

• 317933E0-AAB3-4604-B384-24FC988A0C2F.jpeg
    317933E0-AAB3-4604-B384-24FC988A0C2F.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 16
  • C85C529E-1A9E-4CBD-8482-529686B64AF6.jpeg
    C85C529E-1A9E-4CBD-8482-529686B64AF6.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 4
  • C0EBCDC8-585A-47A9-9207-544A8CE5D6CA.jpeg
    C0EBCDC8-585A-47A9-9207-544A8CE5D6CA.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 13AC8C53-A447-47AA-9300-22DB065C40A5.jpeg
    13AC8C53-A447-47AA-9300-22DB065C40A5.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 832937CF-8FA5-4B2C-9B0B-8A14B43B741D.jpeg
    832937CF-8FA5-4B2C-9B0B-8A14B43B741D.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 5
We picked up a couple more chicks since all my Australorps turned out to be male 🫠
sticking to the pullet bins this time.. I couldn’t resist these adorable giant Cochins! (and I thought I was obsessed with orps…)

Hatched 4/13 - I have no clue what color they’ll be and I’m excited to find out so I wanted to track their pics here in a thread.

I’m still very new to chickens. I’ve grown up two other rounds of chicks in our laundry room. Looking back, they weren’t little puff balls long enough and then for too long they were loud, smelly, messy, awkward weirdos I was eager to kick out of the house.

This time I want to cherish the early time while we’re finding out what they’ll be like in this world 🐥🐓🌎

One is pretty solid brownish/grey/red - maybe Partridge? (again I have no idea what I’m talking about) she is less busy and often just standing tall and looking stoic 😍

The other is mostly black with some lighter face/tum/stripes - maybe black Cochin? or Barred or Laced (omg wouldn’t that be cool) this chick is always on the move, curious and ready to stir up trouble 😈

Do y’all have any favorite glow ups in your flock?
The lighter one is Silver Laced and the dark brown one is Partridge. They're adorable. Both my favorite Cochin colors. ❤️

pretty sure we'll be naming the little black one Beetlejuice - she is a trouble maker! frequent pecking and stirring and she is always taking flying leaps off items/arms/ we have to be so careful when we take her out of the brooder. also super funny the other one peeps so loud when we separate them; it's like she's shouting "Beetlejuice" three times to make her come back. and since it looks like she'll be black and white it just fits :p

the lil partridge keeps getting a pasty butt so she might be Krusty :lol: haven't let go of the names Reverend Mother, Peggy... or others. for what looks like will be our biggest, most regal chicken:love

Attachments

• tempImageHQCJxm.png
    tempImageHQCJxm.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImagexp1eEr.png
    tempImagexp1eEr.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
pretty sure we'll be naming the little black one Beetlejuice - she is a trouble maker! frequent pecking and stirring and she is always taking flying leaps off items/arms/ we have to be so careful when we take her out of the brooder. also super funny the other one peeps so loud when we separate them; it's like she's shouting "Beetlejuice" three times to make her come back. and since it looks like she'll be black and white it just fits :p

the lil partridge keeps getting a pasty butt so she might be Krusty :lol: haven't let go of the names Reverend Mother, Peggy... or others. for what looks like will be our biggest, most regal chicken:love

Love the name Beetlejuice! (Just be careful when saying it 3 times :lol:)

Very cute! 💗

little Krusty’s bum is not looking great. doesn’t seem blocked, so maybe not pasty butt? we were cleaning her up every day, until yesterday when I noticed she was still pooping. but her vent looks irritated? we had been dipping in room temp water. air drying. and rubbing a little coconut oil. we got them Friday. noticed some pasty on Saturday night and treated. then again Sunday and Monday. skipped yesterday. really hoping it clears up and she’s doing ok. she’s picking at the area some but otherwise doesn’t seem bothered. very active, eating, drinking, and she’s still bigger than Beetlejuice.

Attachments

• F5EE3C75-0818-4334-ACAB-EDA0E4FF9041.jpeg
    F5EE3C75-0818-4334-ACAB-EDA0E4FF9041.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 8C2DC453-CE06-43B0-BFCF-49B8FCA8D8DB.jpeg
    8C2DC453-CE06-43B0-BFCF-49B8FCA8D8DB.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 4
little Krusty’s bum is not looking great. doesn’t seem blocked, so maybe not pasty butt? we were cleaning her up every day, until yesterday when I noticed she was still pooping. but her vent looks irritated? we had been dipping in room temp water. air drying. and rubbing a little coconut oil. we got them Friday. noticed some pasty on Saturday night and treated. then again Sunday and Monday. skipped yesterday. really hoping it clears up and she’s doing ok. she’s picking at the area some but otherwise doesn’t seem bothered. very active, eating, drinking, and she’s still bigger than Beetlejuice.
Put some probiotics in the water, it helps chicks with digestive issues. Human or animal probiotics are the same. Approximately 1/4 teaspoon probiotics per quart of water changed and made new daily, for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom